What's the longest from pip to zip? 48 hour update post 9

mycutekitties

Songster
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Modesto, California
I had 2 hatch yesterday and one that is still working on it. I noticed a small crack about 29 hours ago. It's still alive and has made lots of progress but still have not hatched. What is the longest time you guys have seen from a little crack to fully hatched? I can see it moving inside through the little hole but never had one take this long.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search-forum.php?cx=partner-pub-9473214521653913%3Abil3pz2p90m&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=pip+to+zip&sa=Search&siteurl=www.backyardchickens.com%2Fforum%2Fviewforum.php%3Fid%3D5#1242

I
am not being sarcastic.

I plan on reading them as well!
cool.png

Is it the last egg you have to hatch? If so I would give a little help.
If it has started to zip and then stopped it may be a bit sticky in there, or it could just be resting.
Pip to zip ,in my experience has taken up to 24 hours but when they start to zip they are usually out within 6.

I hope by the time you read this she is out and with the other peeps.
smile.png

It has not made any progress in a few hours but I can see it moving. I think tomorrow morning I will help it out since it will be about 48 hours since the pip. Is that what you would do? I have never done that before and it scares me!
sad.png

At this stage I would help the chick out, it would almost certainly die if you didn't.

I have helped chicks who have 'run out of steam' many times and most make it to adult life. The key is be patient and slow,

Good Luck ,

sandie

Yes, if it's been this long, you should help it out. Remember to go slow, keep the membranes moist with warm water, and take breaks every 15 minutes or so to let it warm up in the incubator (unless you see blood, then stop immediately and wait ~30 minutes). If you need help with helping there are several guides here that have worked well for me in the past.

Quote:
I've had to help before with mostly successful releases. I only help with the zipping part though by removing the top half of the shell and membrane. From that point on, the chick must be given time to rest, possibly absorb the remainder of the yolk, and push its way out of the bottom half when its ready. If it dies before it releases itself, it was probably too weak to live in the first place.

Update- so 48 hours I helped it and I am glad I did since it was stuck and no progress since about 24 hours ago. When I was working on the egg it, was chirping loudly. When I was done I put the baby back in the incubator to dry. It has not moved and it's eyes are still closed. It is breathing. Do you think it's a goner? At least gave it a chance.

Back
Top Bottom