What's the most dependable laying breed in your flock?

NN= Naked Neck, also known as the Turken
1f60a.png

I have one EE who has laid consistently every other day through my zone 4 winter, while the rest of the girls took a winter break. My home hatched Black Sex link is the most routine layer, has laid an egg 10 days in a row since she started back laying about 2 weeks ago. They all (3EE, 1 RIR, and 1 BSL) started laying between 16.5 - 17.5 weeks old, and were hatched at the end of Feb, early March last year.

My black sex link - average 6 days per week, even all through the winter. She's almost 2 years old, and since she started laying she's been the same. She's the smallest, skinniest chicken in the flock, and also top of the pecking order! No doubt she will start to slow down a bit soon - she's been laying her socks off up until now, so she deserves a break!

Definitely not my marans hybrid - average 3 or 4 eggs a week when she does lay, and long periods when she doesn't (due to moulting, stress etc). However she is gorgeous, adorable, and absolutely wonderful - even though she eats twice as much as any of the others, and gives me half the eggs, but I wouldn't give her up for anything!

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm eager to add either a Red or Black Star to my little flock. Now I just have to decide which one... Hmm...

Also, to add my own input on this, my two Easter Eggers are my most deoendable layers. They each lay one to two eggs every day without fail.

How big is your flock? It's difficult to add a single bird to a flock, no matter the size of the flock or the size of the bird being added. Chickens are worse than 6th grade girls and will bully the daylights out of a single new bird. If there's at least 2 added, they can be buddies and share the bullying. Nothing worse than being the little kid on the play ground without anyone to play with!

I have 5 hens in the coop now, and I'm raising 4 chicks who are still in the brooder. My plan is to buy either a black star or red star chick in yen next week or so, and add hrs to the mix of babies

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm eager to add either a Red or Black Star to my little flock. Now I just have to decide which one... Hmm...

Also, to add my own input on this, my two Easter Eggers are my most deoendable layers. They each lay one to two eggs every day without fail.
You probably already know this, but Black Stars are the same as Black Sex Linked (BSL), and Red Stars are the same as Red Sex Linked (RSL). Both are egg laying machines but there is a difference between the two. I found the difference here — http://bloggingerika.hubpages.com/hub/Chicken-Breeds-Sex-Link

Back
Top Bottom