Whats the most humane way to kill a chicken?

.... Will she feel pain after her head is gone.
That is funny. Which part of her are you worried about feeling pain? Her feet? Her head/brain will be laying on the stump. Will there be some cognizant thoughts running thru her head? Maybe yes, maybe no. The amount of trauma will short circuit her nervous system and she will not comprehend any of it.

The first definiton of humane is kindness and mercy. You are doing that.

the most humane way is that way that YOU can carry out swiftly and accurately

Some may argue that an axe is the most humane.. but it isn't if you don't have the upper body strength to swing it (causing a partial cut only) or hesitate at the last moment and swing haphazardly only nicking the neck
A sharp knife to the jugular can also be botched if the knife isn't sharp enough or if you use too much or too little pressure or are unsure of where to cut

Sure most methods will get the job done sooner or later.. however you asked which was the most humane

For me, I prefer tree loppers..I don't have the strength due to a bad shoulder to swing an axe effectively.. the loppers slit the throat as well as crush the spinal cord.. and if sharp enough they sever the head completely off

So it all comes down to which way the person who is dispatching the animal is most comfortable with and have the confidence to use without botching the job

For me, I prefer tree loppers..I don't have the strength due to a bad shoulder to swing an axe effectively.. the loppers slit the throat as well as crush the spinal cord.. and if sharp enough they sever the head completely off
This is a good idea too. Hadn't thought of loppers. With the axe method, you do need to be sure the axe is very sharp, and the bird is immobilized so that you can be relaxed and swing strongly and accurately. We've been successful killing instantaneously with the axe, but I'm always worried that we'll miss and just nick the head....causing horrible suffering.

I can't imagine having your lungs fill with water and desperately trying to draw a breath and not being able to would be a peaceful way to go. I do know the several times I've had a bad chest cold or when my asthma acts up and I can't get any air into my lungs, it's not fun. I also know my residents with breathing problems (I'm a nurse in a long term care facility for 20+ yrs) never seem very comfortable or at peace...

So I'm gonna say drowning is a horrid way to go.

Same with freezing. Being cold is horrible. Freezing before you reach the point of deadening of nerves is quite painful. Bad BAD way to go.

We always use a good solid chopping block with two nails placed to fit the chicken's neck between them with the head on one side and body on the other. Swing a good sharp ax directly below the nails. Off comes the head instantly. Other than a couple of moments of indigence as to why you're putting it in such an uncomfortable position the chicken won't know a thing.

I have been reading about this for months as we had 5 roosters which had been on CL for two months and no replies. I am not a vegetarian however I despise killing anything myself. I found it so hypocritical to buy abused, and hormone stuffed chicken at the store but didn't know what to do with 5 beautiful happy fee ranged roosters that would wake me up at 3 every morning. I have called the humane society and local farms to no avail. I maned up this weekend and dispatched our roosters. It was such a relief to have done it and make a delicious chicken noodle soup with their meat and know that they had a great life in a huge yard with many happy hens. I had to do it myself and ended up using the broom handle method. I had read about every kind of way to kill them quickly and humanely. I practiced with an axe, but was averaging about 75 % success cutting sticks by myself. No way would this work with something moving. I did not want to bleed them because it seemed a little slow (for me). Putting a steel rod over thier necks gently and then take a deep breath then step and pull. Thats it. It was over instantly and no pain. Just want to thank everyone for their suggestions and stories. I did try the tree loppers after they were dead and I'm glad I did not try it first as they were not quit sharp enough and would have definately cut them up and maybe broke the neck but certainly not swiftly and painlessly. If anyone is wondering, I pulled very hard and quickly but they were different sized roosters and I almost pulled the head off a smaller one, but better too hard then do it twice. Again, thanks for the great advice to everyone.

I have been reading about this for months as we had 5 roosters which had been on CL for two months and no replies. I am not a vegetarian however I despise killing anything myself. I found it so hypocritical to buy abused, and hormone stuffed chicken at the store but didn't know what to do with 5 beautiful happy fee ranged roosters that would wake me up at 3 every morning. I have called the humane society and local farms to no avail. I maned up this weekend and dispatched our roosters. It was such a relief to have done it and make a delicious chicken noodle soup with their meat and know that they had a great life in a huge yard with many happy hens. I had to do it myself and ended up using the broom handle method. I had read about every kind of way to kill them quickly and humanely. I practiced with an axe, but was averaging about 75 % success cutting sticks by myself. No way would this work with something moving. I did not want to bleed them because it seemed a little slow (for me). Putting a steel rod over thier necks gently and then take a deep breath then step and pull. Thats it. It was over instantly and no pain. Just want to thank everyone for their suggestions and stories. I did try the tree loppers after they were dead and I'm glad I did not try it first as they were not quit sharp enough and would have definately cut them up and maybe broke the neck but certainly not swiftly and painlessly. If anyone is wondering, I pulled very hard and quickly but they were different sized roosters and I almost pulled the head off a smaller one, but better too hard then do it twice. Again, thanks for the great advice to everyone.
Not to be nit picky but no chicken is hormone stuffed even commercially grown ones.

Back
Top Bottom