Whats the most humane way to kill a chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by nanaluvsgps, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    YUM YUM! Glad you found a way that works well for you. Killing them is the easy part for me, processing them is the part I don't like doing.

gridgeway66 and foamyownsyou like this.
  2. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    I'm the other way around. Killing is the hard part, processing is easier.. although I am SLOW at it.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I'm slow too, but it's because I have to rinse my hands 10 times during the process. Chicken guts are gross!

4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't do the killing but I do help process. Hubby has always used the hand ax, fast but messy, were going to be culling 7 young Roosters and two older hens in a few weeks and he was going to try the cone method because the headless chicken literally taking off across the yard is just to funny/sad and besides, our Grandsons will more than likely be here at the time.

5. amkuska

amkuska Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    My dogs agree with you. Waste not, want not...can they have those feet? ;-)

2 people like this.
  6. Tomtommom

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL

I really recommend you look into the broomstick method. There was NO blood on the outside. I am certain my 5 year old would have been able to be around and not freaked out. I even left the head on until I got to the gutting part. I did hold the rooster while he twitched and jerked, rather than hanging him up or laying him somewhere. Seems it would cause less damage/bruising to the bird.

I seem to get black feathered cockerels... so it takes FOREVER to get all those little black pinfeathers. That really is the time consuming part for me.

7. irmad

irmad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    UK
    Is there video here that shows how to process chike (rooster)?

8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I will, I hadn't heard of it til I read it on this thread, got distracted and forgot to look it up..
    Thanks for the heads up, will have the old man check it out. :)

And ALL the roo's were going to cull are either black or grey and white :)

9. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Is the broom stick method broomstick across the neck, step on it and pull up hard and fast on the feet?

10. Tomtommom

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    That's the one. We actually used a REALLY long screwdriver (over a foot long), it's lighter, so doesn't freak them out as much when you lay it down. Just make sure whatever you're going to use isn't going to bend or snap... that would be awful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by