Whats the most humane way to kill a chicken?

I don't do the killing but I do help process. Hubby has always used the hand ax, fast but messy, were going to be culling 7 young Roosters and two older hens in a few weeks and he was going to try the cone method because the headless chicken literally taking off across the yard is just to funny/sad and besides, our Grandsons will more than likely be here at the time.

I talk to and pet my death row pen roosters from the time they are hatched so they are used to being handled and have no idea what is about to take place.
I just pick one up and carry it to the chopping block, there's no squawking, flapping, commotion or excitement, hook his head between the nails and swing the hatchet. While he's flopping about on the ground I'm walking back to the pen and getting another one.
The chopping block is in full view of the rest of the chickens but they don't get alarmed at all. Matter of fact, my yard chickens hang around and as soon as a roosters head hits the ground another chicken grabs it and runs off with it. The other chickens and the cats eat EVERYTHING while I'm processing and when I'm done all that's left is a pile of feathers and feet. There's no mess to clean up or dispose of and it was just another uneventful day.

My dogs agree with you. Waste not, want not...can they have those feet? ;-)

I don't do the killing but I do help process. Hubby has always used the hand ax, fast but messy, were going to be culling 7 young Roosters and two older hens in a few weeks and he was going to try the cone method because the headless chicken literally taking off across the yard is just to funny/sad and besides, our Grandsons will more than likely be here at the time.

I really recommend you look into the broomstick method. There was NO blood on the outside. I am certain my 5 year old would have been able to be around and not freaked out. I even left the head on until I got to the gutting part. I did hold the rooster while he twitched and jerked, rather than hanging him up or laying him somewhere. Seems it would cause less damage/bruising to the bird.

I seem to get black feathered cockerels... so it takes FOREVER to get all those little black pinfeathers. That really is the time consuming part for me.

I really recommend you look into the broomstick method. There was NO blood on the outside. I am certain my 5 year old would have been able to be around and not freaked out. I even left the head on until I got to the gutting part. I did hold the rooster while he twitched and jerked, rather than hanging him up or laying him somewhere. Seems it would cause less damage/bruising to the bird.

I seem to get black feathered cockerels... so it takes FOREVER to get all those little black pinfeathers. That really is the time consuming part for me.

I will, I hadn't heard of it til I read it on this thread, got distracted and forgot to look it up..
Thanks for the heads up, will have the old man check it out. :)

And ALL the roo's were going to cull are either black or grey and white :)

That's the one. We actually used a REALLY long screwdriver (over a foot long), it's lighter, so doesn't freak them out as much when you lay it down. Just make sure whatever you're going to use isn't going to bend or snap... that would be awful.

Back
Top Bottom