Whats the most humane way to kill a chicken?

Pics
The first rooster we had to cull my husband took his head off but I didn't like the flapping and the mess so this time I decided to try the broomstick method. I am not very big and strong but figured I would give it my best shot. I felt a 'pop' in the neck but then I started to worry because the roo still flapped a bit and twitched his legs, and looked like it was still breathing for what seemed like an age. It seems I did do it right because he stopped flapping and went all floppy but my worry is have I just hurt him and not killed him? At least when you chop the head off you know you have done the deed. Think I might go back to the chop method for future.

Here's my input to this subject. I've never had to kill a grown bird. But my family always did the hatchet to the neck method. For me personally, I've only had to put a critically injured chick down. A week or two old. At this age they are very small. I used a pellet gun to the back of the head. Quick, painless, low mess, and it never saw it coming. I'm not a farmer, this chick was a pet to the kids and me. So it wasn't easy. Funny how I can go bag a whitetail deer or rabbit or squirrel no problem. But killing a chick was hard to do, even when I thought about how badly it was suffering while alive. I think it was harder, too, because it was just an innocent baby that never got a chance to live.

I swear I'm no PETA member, even if it sounds that way.

I know where you are coming from, Lurch. I've slaughtered pigs, cows, ducks and chickens, and putting down an adult meat animal is just what it is, part of life. Putting down a pet or a baby animal is hard to swallow, even when it is for the best. It should be harder--it means you are not a sociopath.

I grab it, put it on the chopping block, restrain it with a rope, and lop it's head off, and an hour later it's either cooking or in the freezer :)

I came across this method accidently while dispatching our rooster. Seemed not to be a gruesome as the old chopping block method my parents use to use. ie no flopping around and blood splatter. Catch them by the neck and squeeze, they faint instantly. while holding tightly turn the body til it breaks the neck, then cut off its head and hang up side down to bleed out. The other chickens were completely unaware that there was anything wrong.

I came across this method accidently while dispatching our rooster. Seemed not to be a gruesome as the old chopping block method my parents use to use. ie no flopping around and blood splatter. Catch them by the neck and squeeze, they faint instantly. while holding tightly turn the body til it breaks the neck, then cut off its head and hang up side down to bleed out. The other chickens were completely unaware that there was anything wrong.
We lop heads right out there with the other chickens out running around. They don't seem to be alarmed by it.

We lop heads right out there with the other chickens out running around. They don't seem to be alarmed by it.
Mine aren't alarmed, they just think it's buffet time
sickbyc.gif
nothing an old laying hen loves to eat more than her former mate's innards......

We decided on the broomstick method. Glad we did, it was quick and not as gruesome as chopping his head off! He was rather scrawny, but decided to clean him anyway, as practice. 3 lbs, 2.6 oz after cleaning.. enough for two adults, I'd say :) Waste not, want not.

The key for us was to have my husband step on the 'broomstick' (we actually used a 1 1/2 foot long screwdriver) and I pulled. Much, MUCH better than the 30 minutes of torture we went through last time. It's one of those no-fail methods.
I'm curious about the broomstick method, did you get better at it?

I had one chicken die while I was giving her a warm Epsom salt bath to help what I thought was an impacted egg. While I'm sure the bath didn't cause her death and was purely coincidental, it had to have been a more pleasant way to go.
That's how I'd like to go- peacefully relaxing in a warm bath!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom