What's the oldest a male can be without foam?

dand883

Chirping
Jan 7, 2020
So we've had our 6 quail now for quite a while and I still can't tell how many males we have.
The first 4 are 11 weeks old, the other two are 9 weeks. I've been getting one egg a night predictably for a few weeks now, but only ever 1.
I have tried vent sexing them all, and I have one producing foam, one that is noticeably stretched compared to the others which I assume is my egg layer, but the other 4 are still mysteries. They all have no foam, no eggs, nothing saying for sure male or female to my very untrained eye.

What is the oldest you've seen a male not producing foam and very easy to vent sex? At this point with no foam am I firmly safe to assume the rest are female and just not laying yet?

Well, i'm starting to think some of my quail are defective. I tried to vent sex my 6 again today, one with obvious foam, one that's my obvious egg layer.

The other 4 are still mysteries. They're now (4) 15 weeks and (2) 13 weeks old and i don't see any obvious bulges, no foam, no stretched out vents as if they had laid. I've even added some lights, just in case a lack of light was causing them to not lay.

The only thing i did notice was that most of them seem to be molting right now. How long does the molting process usually take? I'm still hoping that once they're done they will start laying, but i'm starting to think i might have to keep my one layer and start over with the rest.

How about the chest feather method?
They're all just a random mix of parents, so not a set colour variety and could have mixes of colours from their parents.

3 are tibetan/rosetta coloured and can't be feather sexed. 2/3 of these are my confirmed male and female.

One is a standard colour with both speckles on the chest and rusty breast feathers, but no foam.

The other two are italian/machurian looking, one is all speckled and i would assume female, but no egg from her, one has orangey chest, but doesn't have the full brown head that i see as male in some pictures, but i'm pretty new at it and not 100% sure, so even by feather it's a mystery.

Well, i'm starting to think some of my quail are defective. I tried to vent sex my 6 again today, one with obvious foam, one that's my obvious egg layer.

The other 4 are still mysteries. They're now (4) 15 weeks and (2) 13 weeks old and i don't see any obvious bulges, no foam, no stretched out vents as if they had laid. I've even added some lights, just in case a lack of light was causing them to not lay.

The only thing i did notice was that most of them seem to be molting right now. How long does the molting process usually take? I'm still hoping that once they're done they will start laying, but i'm starting to think i might have to keep my one layer and start over with the rest.
this is so strange for me since all japanese quail lays at 6-8weeks or maybe as late as 10weeks..and a rooster mature more quickly than a hen at around 5-6 weeks when they started crowing and then about the mine were before 9 weeks

They're all just a random mix of parents, so not a set colour variety and could have mixes of colours from their parents.

3 are tibetan/rosetta coloured and can't be feather sexed. 2/3 of these are my confirmed male and female.

One is a standard colour with both speckles on the chest and rusty breast feathers, but no foam.

The other two are italian/machurian looking, one is all speckled and i would assume female, but no egg from her, one has orangey chest, but doesn't have the full brown head that i see as male in some pictures, but i'm pretty new at it and not 100% sure, so even by feather it's a mystery.
Let them finish molting and see if adding the light helped. If not, you may need stronger or longer lighting. If you post front pics of your feather sexable ones we can try to help you figure out the gender.

Let them finish molting and see if adding the light helped. If not, you may need stronger or longer lighting. If you post front pics of your feather sexable ones we can try to help you figure out the gender.

This is the first question mark, the golden one. To me his chest says male, but no foam.

Attachments

• 20200922_104014.jpg
    20200922_104014.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200922_104050.jpg
    20200922_104050.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200922_104057.jpg
    20200922_104057.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom