What's the purpose for pecking order?

This post was timely. THANK YOU!

I have an EE Rooster that was causing chaos through my flock of younger birds. Chasing them off and stealing what they were eating. then he went so far as to start grabbing and pulling feathers. I determined enough was enough and have him separated. At only 16 weeks he's still a bit small for butchering so I hope to hold onto him for another month.

Lol, good idea, there's a few threads on here I copy info from so I can reread it later. Some stuff needs reading a few times to soak in.

Each person has different beliefs and aims with their flocks, and concerning animals in general, so feel free to do whatever you feel is right, of course. You'll find your own rules of conduct you believe chickens must adhere to in order to epitomize decent stock. I'm not an expert, and my views on animals, etc are often somewhat controversial.

Many people believe for example that males are inherently violent female-bashing rapists and infant-killers by virtue of possessing exterior gonads as opposed to the female's interior gonads. This has never, ever been my experience with males. To be totally honest I have had worse experiences with aggressive females than aggressive males of many different species, and I respect the females more, if 'respect' means 'take an attack more seriously'. lol. It's a strange world and the human propensity to view it through a fantasist lens is also strange.

Best wishes.

Oh yeah with this memory of mine I have to copy and paste so I can refer back to it and remember it. Yep that's what makes the world so interesting everyone is different and likes different things. I just like peace and harmony in my pen and right now just some eggs coming out of it would be nice to.
big_smile.png
We're getting close! 4 months old so we're getting there.
When I had my ducks I had some mean drakes but I had wayyy too many of them and finally learned that and took a bunch to our water parks in the area so they could be free and enjoy all the water. I didn't want to sale them and someone kill them so I called the water parks and they said sure bring em on. You should have seen those ducks when they hit that open water as far as the eye could see was water. It was a sight to behold! SOOOO cool! They immediately went to the shore lines rooting around and I was so glad I thought about the parks because I knew they would be content living there.

Thank you again for your time and info!!!

THIS is going to be another off topic BUT I don't know WHERE else to ask this question and I am curious!
hide.gif

WHY are some chickens combs and wattles faded out looking and not really red? Are some breeds just like that or do they just need some sort of vitamin or something? Was looking on the RIR thread and noticing so many differences in these and the really red ones look soooo healthy looking to me. But the pale ones look like they NEED something? What vitamin makes them really red? OR is there one that would work for this?

Your birds are young and they won't get their red combs and wattles until they sexually mature..and some mature at different times than others, some breeds sooner and some chickens sooner within the breed. Just like us humans...remember the gals that got their boobs and periods first? Same thing.

At different times of the year you will see a more pale red comb on the birds as well, such as during brooding and molting, going into a winter slow down, etc. It all has to do with hormones whether they have very cherry red combs or just pink combs. When they are mature and you see VERY pale combs and it's not the season for it, nor a reason for it, then you can worry about a chicken being a little anemic.

Your birds are young and they won't get their red combs and wattles until they sexually mature..and some mature at different times than others, some breeds sooner and some chickens sooner within the breed. Just like us humans...remember the gals that got their boobs and periods first? Same thing.

At different times of the year you will see a more pale red comb on the birds as well, such as during brooding and molting, going into a winter slow down, etc. It all has to do with hormones whether they have very cherry red combs or just pink combs. When they are mature and you see VERY pale combs and it's not the season for it, nor a reason for it, then you can worry about a chicken being a little anemic.

OHHHHH so THAT'S it! NOW I understand! I sure was wondering about that because some pix I see look sick their combs and stuff are sooo pale. When do they normally get sexually mature? I know you said at different times but normally? Is that around 6 months of age?

Bee the other evening I was picking up all my birds without bands and putting bands on them and I sure got the cockerels attention. He stayed fairly close to those pullets and I was glad to see that. I did keep the RIR #1 and instead of #7 I decided on #13 because I just liked the way he looked better, more stocky I guess you could say and his legs were in the middle of his body like they say they should be. He seemed to stay with the pullets better than 7 did as well. But this was #13 hanging around when I was picking up the pullets. He wasn't close because I've been teaching them to stay back with my stick but he was just a watching me with his pullets. lol I think he's going to wind up to be a good one just by the way he's acting. I sure hope so anyway.

Back
Top Bottom