What's the rarest breed or variety you have?

Pics
I have Campines, which are considered both rare & endangered in my country.
What’s that frizzled, silver laced bird in your banner?

My rarest breed is definitely the bantam Buckeyes. I think I’m probably the only one here to have those. In show circles, I see them a lot though.

My brother has Welsummer bantams, but those aren’t *technically* mine.
So here’s some Buckeyes! (Plus half a Welsummer.)
6AB533DA-2444-47FB-8360-AEC576A5BD59.jpeg

The common breeds of course need attention too, or they’ll be rare themseleves! Right now the most common breeds I see at shows in Wisconsin are Ameraucanas, Marans, and Call ducks. They are very popular here among exhibition breeders.

The common breeds of course need attention too, or they’ll be rare themseleves!

Agree 100%. Especially if the breed is 'common' in that hatcheries sell a lot of them. Look at how rare good quality Leghorns can be despite that practically every hatchery in the country sells a ton of production-quality Leghorns. But man, a good quality exhibition Leghorn sure is a show-stopper! 😍

Beautiful Buckeyes, by the way! That's a breed that really hasn't been on my radar much, but if it's bantam sized then it has my interest 🤭

Agree 100%. Especially if the breed is 'common' in that hatcheries sell a lot of them. Look at how rare good quality Leghorns can be despite that practically every hatchery in the country sells a ton of production-quality Leghorns. But man, a good quality exhibition Leghorn sure is a show-stopper! 😍

Beautiful Buckeyes, by the way! That's a breed that really hasn't been on my radar much, but if it's bantam sized then it has my interest 🤭
So true! White Rocks, Wyandottes, bantam Leghorns, and RIR are common enough around here, but nice patterned Rocks, patterned Wyandottes, largefowl Leghorns are pretty rare (the latter mostly due to the climate, I suspect.)

No, they are all pea-combed.
Huh. Maybe it's the angle of the photo, or something about my computer screen. I was really sure I saw a rose comb on the male under the perch, near the middle top of the photo.

Since you're the one who sees them in person, you're probably right :confused:

Back
Top Bottom