What's the rarest breed or variety you have?

Pics
Are Khaki Silver Duckwing the same as Fawn Silver Duckwing?

No, Khaki is to Fawn as Splash is to Blue. You will get a certain portion of Khakis from breeding Fawns just because of how the gene works. Basically, if your bird carries one copy of dun (I^d / i+), they are Fawn (or Dun, depending on the breed, but it's the same genetically), and if they carry two copies (I^d / I^d), they are Khaki.

Here's one of my Fawn Silver Duckwing boys and one of my Khaki Silver Duckwing boys as a comparison. The Khakis do have a faint hint of a sort of brownish-gray off-white to the parts that the Fawns have brown, but it's hard to see unless you're looking closely so they mostly just look white.

Achernar.jpg
Louis.jpg

Khaki Silver Duckwing hens are a little bit more colorful because of the touch of salmon in their chests. This is a Fawn Silver Duckwing hen and a Khaki Silver Duckwing pullet:

Altair 11-5-20.jpg
Havok.jpg

Sadly, those are the two girls that a hawk got, so I no longer have them here. 🙁 Both boys are still around, though, of course.

Where did you get them? It looks like you have a Silver Duckwing and a Black Breasted Red, but your BBR has the wrong leg color. They should both have the pale pinkish or white legs like the Silver Duckwing has.

The boys will have very stumpy tails and the pullets seem to grow their tails pretty fast but that’s definitely not a scientific technique. I’ve also noticed the boys wattles are red from the start.
Okay thank you! Mine just hit five weeks and were very quick to get their tails and definitely have no wattles so I will hope for the best! I just wasn't sure the time frame when male specific characteristics occur because they seem pretty fast to mature but didn't want to jump the gun :)

No, Khaki is to Fawn as Splash is to Blue. You will get a certain portion of Khakis from breeding Fawns just because of how the gene works. Basically, if your bird carries one copy of dun (I^d / i+), they are Fawn (or Dun, depending on the breed, but it's the same genetically), and if they carry two copies (I^d / I^d), they are Khaki.

Here's one of my Fawn Silver Duckwing boys and one of my Khaki Silver Duckwing boys as a comparison. The Khakis do have a faint hint of a sort of brownish-gray off-white to the parts that the Fawns have brown, but it's hard to see unless you're looking closely so they mostly just look white.

View attachment 3110858View attachment 3110851

Khaki Silver Duckwing hens are a little bit more colorful because of the touch of salmon in their chests. This is a Fawn Silver Duckwing hen and a Khaki Silver Duckwing pullet:

View attachment 3110860View attachment 3110859

Sadly, those are the two girls that a hawk got, so I no longer have them here. 🙁 Both boys are still around, though, of course.
So pretty!
I ordered three Fawn Silver Duckwing this year and all of them are cockerels, I really wanted a pair =(
So if you get Fawn Silver Duckwing from a hatchery you'll probably get Khaki too, like you get splash when you order blue?
One of my cockerels, the biggest, is really light. Is he Khaki?

I'm not entirely sure. I imagine it would be a possibility if they breed them the same way they breed Blues! A very light bird does sound like it could be Khaki. Do you happen to have a picture of them? I'd be able to tell you for sure that way. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom