whats the tallest breed?

If you do a Google search with "$1,000 for a 34" chicken shamo" you will find an interesting discussion. Nobody ever collected the money to the best of my knowledge.

A lot has to do with where you get the bird, so if you want big, full bodied bird that has the height that they should you have to go with a breeder.
Not to bash or put down hatcheries but most if not all hatchery stock will never get as big, full or as tall as breeder stock of the same breed.

Chris

The Serama is the tallest breed... well, in it's opinion it is...
lau.gif

There are a lot of tall, leggy oriental breeds out there. Indio gigante being just one of many. Finding ones that actually get 3 feet tall is not an easy thing, even from good breeders. As for the Saipan, once they were as big as larger Malay or Shamo, sure. I am very doubtful there are any around now that will get that big. People always think their birds are way bigger than what they are-I used to think I had 6-7 pound cocks, until I weighed them and they were 4.5 pounds.... Chickens are good at looking larger than they really are. No hatchery birds are ever going to come close to 36", 24" would be a miracle.

I am getting Shamos next weekend and the 8 month old trio I am getting the Roo is around 25-27 inches tall and about 8lbs. They are generally not aggressive towards people just towards other male poultry. I will post a picture when I get them!

Nate

Back
Top Bottom