What's the temperature where you are???

Monday 26th February 10.22a.m. Overcast and warm, sunny gaps. Wind 16.7 27.8kph SSW, Hg 60%, Temp 23.9C / 75F headed for 27C / 80F. Possible late shower.

Moon is 97%

Hen productivity down as WA swelters through heatwave​

2 days ago​

103499158.jpg

Hotter temperatures can lead to smaller eggs. (ABC South West WA: Anthony Pancia)

February has seen temperatures rise to nearly 50 degrees Celsius (122F) in parts of Western Australia and people may find themselves being affected by the heat in more ways than one.

Temperature is a key factor in productivity for chickens, according to Margaret River Free Ranger Eggs owner Jan Harwood, who said commercial producers were always battling the elements.

"In summer our hens get hot and tend to eat less – a bit like us – and it's mainly this eating less that affects egg size," she said.

"You can expect to see smaller eggs in the supermarket."

Fewer eggs on the shelf?​

Ms Harwood did not think there would be reduced availability.

"Generally speaking, it will not affect the number of eggs you see on the shelves," she said.

"Having said that, sometimes in extreme heat, temperatures are difficult to control and hens can even die or go off the lay."

Commercial Egg Producers Association of WA president and Fremantle Egg Company owner Ian Wilson said prices would stay the same.

"You'll probably see more middle-of-the-range, 700-gram type size as the alternative to the jumbo 800," he said.

Mr Wilson said egg producers may feel a financial pinch.

"If you're feeding your chook and you're getting a smaller egg, you're not getting quite as good of a return," he said.

"So the bottom line for the farmer will be slightly less over these months, but not for the consumer — they will stay the same price."

It’s been a rough week here - I have been sick all week and the weather has been crappy, winter came back last weekend, but then warmed up Thursday, in time for another arctic blast Friday into Saturday.

Today it became milder, thankfully, and it is in the rise next few days, and then another arctic blast. Crazy winter here this year.

15C in February?! Just wild! That’s 59F!

But look at that evil -10C Wednesday overnight, that will be a 23 degree difference in temps.

View attachment 3757427
oh yah like here we just had 22 degrees F this morning and it will be over 60 in a couple days. yoyo weather. Do you know anything of Ingersoll, Ontario? I went to a bible training center there for one year in early 1980's

It’s been a rough week here - I have been sick all week and the weather has been crappy, winter came back last weekend, but then warmed up Thursday, in time for another arctic blast Friday into Saturday.

Today it became milder, thankfully, and it is in the rise next few days, and then another arctic blast. Crazy winter here this year.

15C in February?! Just wild! That’s 59F!

But look at that evil -10C Wednesday overnight, that will be a 23 degree difference in temps.

View attachment 3757427
Madness. I hope you're feeling better. Summer has been scatty here; yesterday morning I had the heating on, then decided to take the dogs out for a random morning walk and they ended up swimming it got so hot! I was over-dressed and not impressed lol

Monday 26th February 10.22a.m. Overcast and warm, sunny gaps. Wind 16.7 27.8kph SSW, Hg 60%, Temp 23.9C / 75F headed for 27C / 80F. Possible late shower.

Moon is 97%

Hen productivity down as WA swelters through heatwave​

2 days ago​

103499158.jpg

Hotter temperatures can lead to smaller eggs. (ABC South West WA: Anthony Pancia)

February has seen temperatures rise to nearly 50 degrees Celsius (122F) in parts of Western Australia and people may find themselves being affected by the heat in more ways than one.

Temperature is a key factor in productivity for chickens, according to Margaret River Free Ranger Eggs owner Jan Harwood, who said commercial producers were always battling the elements.

"In summer our hens get hot and tend to eat less – a bit like us – and it's mainly this eating less that affects egg size," she said.

"You can expect to see smaller eggs in the supermarket."

Fewer eggs on the shelf?​

Ms Harwood did not think there would be reduced availability.

"Generally speaking, it will not affect the number of eggs you see on the shelves," she said.

"Having said that, sometimes in extreme heat, temperatures are difficult to control and hens can even die or go off the lay."

Commercial Egg Producers Association of WA president and Fremantle Egg Company owner Ian Wilson said prices would stay the same.

"You'll probably see more middle-of-the-range, 700-gram type size as the alternative to the jumbo 800," he said.

Mr Wilson said egg producers may feel a financial pinch.

"If you're feeding your chook and you're getting a smaller egg, you're not getting quite as good of a return," he said.

"So the bottom line for the farmer will be slightly less over these months, but not for the consumer — they will stay the same price."
Do people use fans and AC units to help with extreme heat and their chooks? I use fans in the summer - but I don’t generally use heat in the winter, other than a Sweeter Heater they can sit under (radiant heat).

oh yah like here we just had 22 degrees F this morning and it will be over 60 in a couple days. yoyo weather. Do you know anything of Ingersoll, Ontario? I went to a bible training center there for one year in early 1980's
Yes it is about 3 hr drive away in southern Ontario. Lots of farm land there.

Madness. I hope you're feeling better. Summer has been scatty here; yesterday morning I had the heating on, then decided to take the dogs out for a random morning walk and they ended up swimming it got so hot! I was over-dressed and not impressed lol
Thanks for asking I am on the mend - a vicious cold then sinus infection. I did get some good laughs in when I scared the heck out of the chooks and horses when they saw me with Kleenex stuffed up my nose which was running like a faucet haha.

I think Mother Nature has gone off the rails it seems. I personally detest winter so I am not the least bit sad it has been extremely mild. But having said that, it will be a terrible forest fire season here this summer I bet.

I am already planning on how to keep the ladies all cool this summer, I have a feeling it will be a scorcher.

Do people use fans and AC units to help with extreme heat and their chooks? I use fans in the summer - but I don’t generally use heat in the winter, other than a Sweeter Heater they can sit under (radiant heat).
I have no idea. Maybe way out west they might use heating / cooling. I'm coastal and it doesn't get cold enough here. During the hot days the chooks disappear under thick shrubs during the hottest part of the day.

Thanks for asking I am on the mend - a vicious cold then sinus infection. I did get some good laughs in when I scared the heck out of the chooks and horses when they saw me with Kleenex stuffed up my nose which was running like a faucet haha.

I think Mother Nature has gone off the rails it seems. I personally detest winter so I am not the least bit sad it has been extremely mild. But having said that, it will be a terrible forest fire season here this summer I bet.

I am already planning on how to keep the ladies all cool this summer, I have a feeling it will be a scorcher.
The weather 'experts' said we were going to have a scorching summer .. they are being shamed left, right and center right now.

I have no idea. Maybe way out west they might use heating / cooling. I'm coastal and it doesn't get cold enough here. During the hot days the chooks disappear under thick shrubs during the hottest part of the day.
Sounds idyllic for a chicken 😊

Well speaking of, I better do my evening chores, hay for horses and make sure chickens all got to bed ok, me to slumberland. 4:30am comes awful early….

Everyone have a lovely evening/day 😊

Back
Top Bottom