What's the weirdest place your chickens have nested?

Smack in the middle of the pasture, out in the most open, shrubless/treeless spot there is.

Honestly with the egg's dark reddish color I first thought it was a clay colored rock or something.
lol.png

The last animal to actually wander the pasture besides a chicken was a cat. . .

Our pasture is actually pretty pest/predator free.

One made a nest about 3' from the road, in tall weeds, just behind the mailboxes; it had about 20 eggs when I found her. We have an ancient metal fireplace insert in the shop which is used to burn wood to make a little heat in there in the winter. A couple weeks ago we found about a dozen eggs in there (no chicken.) They were black with soot as well as old oil. One pullet kept hunting for a place to nest nest in the shop. She turned over an open tray of socket wrenches and a made couple other messes, so I moved a nest box to one corner of the shop that she'd been checking out. Problem solved -- one little pullet egg a day in there since.

At the back of my backyard where there are a load of bushes huddled in a corner next to the fence. It always rains an because there is a problem with the back of my backyard, the ground is soaking wet and you can hear and feel the mud squelching underneath your feet. Such a hassle. I'm so happy now because suddenly one morning when we let it out to lay, after a few minutes of wandering around, it came back into the run and layed inside the nesting box where we wanted it to lay! Such a JOY!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom