Whats the weirdest thing your chickens have eaten or tried to eat??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kim95037, Jul 25, 2012.

1. yokohamamama

yokohamamama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Georgia
    Mine, love styrofoam. Also pine shavings, allways with the pine shavings no wonder I have to keep adding litter! One likes to try to eat my eyeball, luckily I am on to his games, the also like the little shiney things on my pants and my feet, and dead skin, and snails ect.... :)

2. sophiesmith

sophiesmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Van Wert, OH
    Really

3. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    styrafoam!!!! oh my lord chickens these days!!!

4. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG I just dropped a bag of white chedder cheese cheese its only a few and my girls just went crazy so i crumbled us a few more threw them down and they went crazy for them I need to find the box to read how unhealthy they are for the girls i may just have to trow a few out to them each day.

5. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Weird things my chickens have eaten, LOL.

Construction material/man made: nuts, washers, screws, plastic tags from the end pieces of wood. Plastic plant tags/markers, rubber bands and broken glass...anything shiney.

Toys: Legos and K'nex (kind of like legos)

Food: Raw uncured olives (bitter yuck) and Jalapenos (ate them like candy)

6. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    this isnt odd but my chickens for some reason love eating my dogs food when ever they come out of there run it the 1st thing they all run too

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    A screw. Nearly killed her.

[​IMG]

8. Kansas Prairie

Kansas Prairie Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. allygb99

allygb99 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    a snake , yuck!

10. Jeepman

Jeepman Out Of The Brooder

I recently opened the 10 week old hens and rooster to the run. Well they found all kinds of bugs including fire ants, and mud wasps. They have since dug about a foot down and have devoured everything in sight. Once the get a bit bigger I will let them free range. The will love the cord wood pile and sawdust end up starving the skunks and badgers yet.

My dog also eats the wasps that buzz him. He nabs them in mid air and as they sting him he growls, but still bites at them and eats them anyways. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by