What's the youngest you've had a duckling quack?

wolfinator

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Mountains of Fayette County, WV
My Runner ducklings are one month old as of yesterday (5/11/22). The fawn/gray one is already doing periodic quacks. Quite loud and definitive. None of my other ducklings ever quacked this early. I'm just glad she's a she. Well it sounds as if both are girls, chocolate one gave a quick quack as I was typing this. Now I'm hoping a few of my 6 week olds are female and not all males. All were home hatched. I tried to include a video but I can't figure out how to do that.

These girls were hatched and are being raised by a olive egger hen.
Screenshot_20220512-144925_Video Player.jpg

My other 5 babies. They moved into their own coop a few days ago. No quacks so far. I had one last year sounded raspy until she was 4 months old. Now she's got the biggest mouth.
20220509_163637.jpg

Last edited:
I want them!
It's been 3 yrs since we had any babies but it seems a few of my female runners would let out a quack and a peep around 3 weeks of age. In my 6 yr olds there were a few of my females that kept me guessing up until around 10 weeks of age.
:love

I want them!
It's been 3 yrs since we had any babies but it seems a few of my female runners would let out a quack and a peep around 3 weeks of age. In my 6 yr olds there were a few of my females that kept me guessing up until around 10 weeks of age.
:love
In addition to these 7, I have 2 broody Runner's sitting on up to19 eggs. It's hard to get a count before I get chased away. Crazy part is my chocolate Runner was nest sharing with a RIR hen that in 4 years never was broody. When one would go to eat or drink, the other sits on the eggs. Now the chocolate Runner has 2 eggs under her and the RIR has 5 to avoid problems. The white/gray Runner had 14 eggs but she moved her nest 3 times along a 5ft wall and last check I only counted 12. I marked all the eggs so I can remove any more. I also have a feeling there may be a chicken egg or 2 mixed in with the duck eggs.

chocolate Runner
20220511_112500.jpg

RIR hen who was nest sharing with the chocolate Runner
20220511_112521.jpg

My white/gray Runner who keeps moving her nest ever couple of days.
1st spot
20220509_162715.jpg

2nd spot
20220509_162558.jpg

3rd spot (hope she stays put)
20220511_112431.jpg

I was planning on doing a full coop clean out this weekend but that'll have to wait for now.

Back
Top Bottom