Khaki Campbell - 5 weeks old

NewAtThis8

Songster
Apr 9, 2023
The babies are 5 weeks old -ish, and I’m stumped. My pekins I could tell at this age that they were boys based on their voices. However, these two are quacking much more pronounced than the pekins did, yet they still sound raspy to me. So I’m not sold on it… I’ve read you can tell by bean color, but they don’t seem to fit the standard. Additionally, their billls and feet are turning orange. Right now though, one has a brown / gray bill with a caramel ish colored bean and the other has a brown / gray bill with a darker brown bean. Any guesses? Pics of both today for your reference!

Attachments

• IMG_6438.jpeg
    IMG_6438.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6439.jpeg
    IMG_6439.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 9
*i should add that their sex matters in how we are building their run. The Pekins live with my chickens right now but all of the ducks will move to a separate duck run in a few weeks. I’d really like to keep a bachelor flock but if there are hens here I may have to keep the drakes separate from the hens, except Stan who’s handicapped and could probably live fine with hens.

I never found the bean thing to work. But, if you are questioning if it a quack, it’s not. Girl quacks are loud and leave no doubt.

With Khakis, dark, solid feathers above the tail usually means male and lighter two-toned feathers means female. In the picture below, the drake is on the right. I would have guessed that both of yours were male by appearance. Although there are occasional exceptions which have dark two-toned feathers and can be either.

Also, drakes bills will start to turn greenish blue pretty soon. So you can watch for that to be sure.

9C56CE62-FC52-4E6E-99CC-CD3284229D37.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s some “quacks” - they are quite vocal especially when separated but I’m just not sold on this being a duck quack vs drake quack. Again, the Pekins didn’t sound like this at all- they were more like a “squawk” at this age.

Ruby
Henry

Back
Top Bottom