What's this about molting?

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have heard about molting but i haven't seen it. My chickens haven't done it yet. Another experience, yah! Anyway, what does molting actually look like? When do they start? And why do they do it at all? I guess I'm pretty much asking for the lowdown.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Moulting occurs a few times, switch to baby feathers, switch to teen feathers, switch to adult feathers, and then about once a year from that point on. Some moult slowly, some drop feathers like mad and grow them back at once. It's normal and extra protein can help in regrowth.

Here is one of my fast moulters:

230_one2_small_800.jpg

230_one_1_small_800.jpg

She was mostly naked. Clumps fell out, and she felt like a hot pin feather ball.

A few weeks later:

230_two_small_800.jpg

230_img_1757_small_800.jpg

Her normal self with crooked wattles and all:
230_poof_lazy_small_800.jpg

Thank you so much. Is there a specific time that they start like before winter or something? Or is it different for each chicken.

The birds can go through light molts or heavier molts and they can molt at anytime. I recently have had some of my birds go through rather heavy molts.

Ummmmm silkiechicken posted pics of a lady in molt!
ep.gif
I am soooo gonna tell speckled! I thought it was strictly against BYC rules to expose a lady like that.
All but two of my hens are molting right now. Another week of this and we'll be buying store bought eggs.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom