what's this weird shell matter lump?

ricky bamboo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
Roseville, Ontario.
I found a weird lump of shell matter stuff in a nesting box. It wasn't egg shaped and had nothing inside...was just like a piece of clay or something, with a rough, sandy texture...
I've also gotten some odd eggs in the past...
1) very soft shell - almost transparent and soft, but held togethor.
2) very small egg - size of robins egg - randomly appeared after all girls were laying nicely for a few months...inside was a tiny speck of yolk.
3) an odd shaped egg - had a 'puckered' crater looking depression on one side.

There have been other abnormalities and i'm sure there will be more, but for the most part, i get normal eggs on a regular schedule.
I was just hoping that someone might know what these strange finds were all about?
thanks for your comments.

Don't know what the lump was that you found other than shell without an egg but as for the other weird eggs:
#1 probably an early egg from a newly laying chicken or indicates a need for more calcium. Ground oyster shells work well as a supplement
#2 new egg from a pullet
#3 rippled or dimpled shaped eggs caused by an egg coming in contact with the previous egg that didn't get laid fast enough (according to Storey's poultry guide which i read because I had the same thing happening occasionally.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

You made me snort!!!

Back
Top Bottom