what's this weird shell matter lump?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ricky bamboo, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ricky bamboo

ricky bamboo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Roseville, Ontario.
    I found a weird lump of shell matter stuff in a nesting box. It wasn't egg shaped and had nothing inside...was just like a piece of clay or something, with a rough, sandy texture...
    I've also gotten some odd eggs in the past...
    1) very soft shell - almost transparent and soft, but held togethor.
    2) very small egg - size of robins egg - randomly appeared after all girls were laying nicely for a few months...inside was a tiny speck of yolk.
    3) an odd shaped egg - had a 'puckered' crater looking depression on one side.

There have been other abnormalities and i'm sure there will be more, but for the most part, i get normal eggs on a regular schedule.
    I was just hoping that someone might know what these strange finds were all about?
    thanks for your comments.

2. carwinew

carwinew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Don't know what the lump was that you found other than shell without an egg but as for the other weird eggs:
    #1 probably an early egg from a newly laying chicken or indicates a need for more calcium. Ground oyster shells work well as a supplement
    #2 new egg from a pullet
    #3 rippled or dimpled shaped eggs caused by an egg coming in contact with the previous egg that didn't get laid fast enough (according to Storey's poultry guide which i read because I had the same thing happening occasionally.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Can you post a pic?

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If you stare at it long enough you'll be able to make out a Jesus or a Mary.

Put it on Ebay and call your local news station.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:[​IMG]
    You made me snort!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by