What's this weird thingie I found on a tree? I have pics.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Moochie, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I've also seen these weird things at school. It's really hard and has a bunch of layers. Sorry about the pics being dark and gloomy, it is not that dark in the computer room. o_O

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really wanna bust it open but it's all crunchy and it will probably make a mess.

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I think its a asp shed. Not sure though...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a moth cocoon [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am going to guess egg case of some insect.

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Praying mantis egg casing. Put it in a cool place for the winter. In the spring put it outside and let them hatch. Great pest control.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Does look like praying mantis egg casing.

Leave outside for spring hatching.

Matt

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2
    definitely praying mantis egg case.
    1 of my neighbors put a BIG egg case on their closed in back porch a couple years ago figuring she'd put it out in early spring before it hatched...then forgot....it took them DAYS before all the little mantis babies were taken outside...LOL:lau

8. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh.. Er uh I unfortunately went at it with a fork... It's not broken but I smushed the top a bit. Will it be okay? Pretty cool though.

9. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Quote:In 1992, we were living in Miami Beach, Florida, (we are native Philadelphians). Every thing was completely alien to what we were used to...trick-or-treating was different, lizards moved into our jack-o-lantern, had to turn on AC to cook Thanksgiving turkey....and the Christmas tree was imported all the way from North Carolina and cost $85 (for a similar tree this year, I paid $45) so that was expensive. But, we noticed this little walnut-sized ball attached to one of the branches, and just figured, for the price of the tree, at least they threw in a free ornament. Well, on New Years Day, 1993, that cute little ornament gave birth to mmmmilllllllions of tiny little space aliens (praying mantises) that marched steadily toward the sun.....all over my childrens' Christmas presents under the tree.That's when I learned what a "blood-curdling scream" really sounded like! My son was 5, my daughter 3.
    So, short answer long.....put that thing back outside, quick, before you are visited by the hordes of little space monsters. BTW, they are an endangered species and cannot be harmed. Good luck!

mm

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    maizy'smom :

Quote:In 1992, we were living in Miami Beach, Florida, (we are native Philadelphians). Every thing was completely alien to what we were used to...trick-or-treating was different, lizards moved into our jack-o-lantern, had to turn on AC to cook Thanksgiving turkey....and the Christmas tree was imported all the way from North Carolina and cost $85 (fot a similar tree this year, I paid $45) so that was expensive. But, we noticed this little walnut-sized ball attached to one of the branches, and just figured, for the price of the tree, at least they threw in a free ornament. Well, on New Years Day, 1993, that cute little ornament gave birth to mmmmilllllllions of tiny little space aliens (praying mantises) that marched steadily toward the sun.....all over my childrens' Christmas presents under the tree.That's when I learned what a "blood-curdling scream" really sounded like! My son was 5, my daughter 3.
    So, short answer long.....put that thing back outside, quick, before you are visited by the hordes of little space monsters. BTW, they are an endangered species and cannot be harmed. Good luck!

mm

[​IMG] Most awesome story, ever! I'm sure not very funny at the time, though.......​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by