What's up with egg laying ?

Witchgrass

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2016
Bandera, Texas
I picked up 4 mixed variety hens just over three weeks ago. The seller said they all should be laying soon, if not already. I got one tan on the first evening.
1f44d-1f3fb.png
1f44d-1f3fb.png
Next day, got one more tan one. Two days later, one tan one. Nothing else until today. We found 5 tan ones today. They appear to be from the same hen(I may have overlooked the clutch yesterday evening when I checked on them). Anyway, there also appears to have some yoke on a few of the eggs. I'm thinking the hen was egg bound? Not sure at all. Any ideas?

They can stop, or delay, laying when moved due to stress....might just be finally settling in.
The yolk could have come from a soft or thin shelled egg that was broken and mostly eaten....common with new layers.

An egg bound bird will be visibly ill...not eating, drinking, moving much.....or if moving, it will be slow and laborious...they sometimes walk like a penguin...and abdomen can be swollen.

After a stressful ordeal like moving and settling into new environments they will likely stop laying for up to 2-3 months.

If they are young and just starting to lay, pullets are sporadic layers for their first few months until they get settled into their laying cycle.

If you're finding yoke remnants you could have an egg eater on your hands. Watch them closely.

Last edited:
They can stop, or delay, laying when moved due to stress....might just be finally settling in.
The yolk could have come from a soft or thin shelled egg that was broken and mostly eaten....common with new layers.

An egg bound bird will be visibly ill...not eating, drinking, moving much.....or if moving, it will be slow and laborious...they sometimes walk like a penguin...and abdomen can be swollen.

Agree with aart. Also, with decreasing light, they will not lay as much. Once the days start getting longer again, egg production will start increasing.

Back
Top Bottom