What's up with Purina???

jeaucamom

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Ophir, CA
We went and got several bags of feed today, and instead of the nice uniform yellow color, it was all brown and chunky with a little yellow thrown in. I was off to work so I had Jess drive them back to the feed store (she called first and they said they would exchange them) but when she got there someone else gave her the run around and sent her away. She called me and I called the store and talked to the manager and gave him an earful. I sent her back and they opened a few more bags and they were ALL like that and some were much worse. They called Purina and no one picked up and then they called someone else who supposedly "knew" what was going on.

Supposedly..... they changed the "gates" and when they switch from making one feed to the next, some gets through.... So the darker stuff is supposed rabbit or pig chow.

My concern is... is any of this stuff medicated and bad for chicks? We asked and they swore that the only stuff that is medicated is chick starter. But still...

The whole thing sounds totally fishy!!

These were the 50 pound red bags of SunFresh chick starter. It wasn't coming from the bins. It was straight out of the Purina bags.

do not use any suspect feed... ever (specially with chicks) ... have your store manager report the supplier/producer to the MAIN Purina head office if he is having problems getting replacements.

That's really bad business. They are supposed to inspect that stuff BEFORE it gets to the feed store and BEFORE it gets to the consumer.
somad.gif
Very irresponsible of Purina!

A few months back I had a couple of bags of Layena with bits of blue plastic in the pellets. I changed it out for Flock Raiser, and got more blue plastic. So I got Start and Grow...and got weevils and plastic. Purina did send me a coupon for 4 free bags, but even so it's not good. Their rep told me it had killed some chicks.

I feed Purina Start n Grow but haven't noticed any problems with the feed. Yet. This really concerns me though. What are the alternatives to whatever feed store carries?
Thanks ~~Karen

Back
Top Bottom