What's up with Purina???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jeaucamom, Jun 7, 2008.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    We went and got several bags of feed today, and instead of the nice uniform yellow color, it was all brown and chunky with a little yellow thrown in. I was off to work so I had Jess drive them back to the feed store (she called first and they said they would exchange them) but when she got there someone else gave her the run around and sent her away. She called me and I called the store and talked to the manager and gave him an earful. I sent her back and they opened a few more bags and they were ALL like that and some were much worse. They called Purina and no one picked up and then they called someone else who supposedly "knew" what was going on.

Supposedly..... they changed the "gates" and when they switch from making one feed to the next, some gets through.... So the darker stuff is supposed rabbit or pig chow.

My concern is... is any of this stuff medicated and bad for chicks? We asked and they swore that the only stuff that is medicated is chick starter. But still...

The whole thing sounds totally fishy!!

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It sounds like your feedstore ordered low-end feed, or Purina bagged some wrong and doesn't want to take the blame.

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    These were the 50 pound red bags of SunFresh chick starter. It wasn't coming from the bins. It was straight out of the Purina bags.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    do not use any suspect feed... ever (specially with chicks) ... have your store manager report the supplier/producer to the MAIN Purina head office if he is having problems getting replacements.

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    That's really bad business. They are supposed to inspect that stuff BEFORE it gets to the feed store and BEFORE it gets to the consumer. [​IMG] Very irresponsible of Purina!

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* An unannounced formula change, maybe?? They may be 'experimenting' due to cost of ingredients.

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    A few months back I had a couple of bags of Layena with bits of blue plastic in the pellets. I changed it out for Flock Raiser, and got more blue plastic. So I got Start and Grow...and got weevils and plastic. Purina did send me a coupon for 4 free bags, but even so it's not good. Their rep told me it had killed some chicks.

8. 3nglishteacher

3nglishteacher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    I feed Purina Start n Grow but haven't noticed any problems with the feed. Yet. This really concerns me though. What are the alternatives to whatever feed store carries?
    Thanks ~~Karen

9. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    NICE! Thats what I was going to feed my birds!! What other brands do all natural or a comparably priced organic?

10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    We just opened a bag like that. It looks like Layena mixed with the Start and Grow. It's the first bag like this I've ever gotten. Weird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by