What's up with Purina???

Well I just bought 3 50 pound bags of start and grow on Thursday and filled my cans.
All the feed looked great , nice yellowis tan color and smelled very good and fresh, like fresh grain. I have not had a problem with the Purina Start -n- Grow ever. Trudy
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I haven't used Purina products in years. When my old mare started having a hard time with regular feed I switched her to Purina Senior, which is a complete feed. She lost so much weight eating it nearly free choice she about died. It was horrible. Switched her to beet pulp and Purina Strategy, their high fat pellet. She gained a little weight back. Then we moved and my 'neighbor' down the way owns one of the feed stores in town. I figured I'd try what they have... couldn't be worse than Purina! Low and behold, put her on the Golden Oak horseman's pellets and not only did she gain back the weight she'd lost she added some pounds! She's 34 this year eating beet pulp and Golden Oak feeds and just as fat as sleek as a young horse. I will *never* feed Purina animal feeds again! I don't know what crap they are trying to pass off as 'quality' feeds, but I think people are just paying high dollar for a label and getting junk feeds for it.

I have in the past fed Purina Start & Grow but don't anymore. I don't want to feed medicated feeds to any of my chicks. Locally, the only non-medicated feed I can find is the DuMor brand at Tractor Supply. Certainly not the cheapest (may be one of the highest! Ugh!), but the quality is great and I've literally fed several hundred pounds this spring alone (between my meat birds and my layers).

I also believe that the supposedly natural SunFresh Start-N-Grow and FlockRaiser are both medicated. There's nothing 'natural' about feeding birds antibiotics. In years past I remember getting unmedicated StartNGrow, but here lately all I can find is medicated. Yuck!!

Liz

that would make me so mad, if I were to get a bag home and open it up to find it was bad, I don't live close to where I buy my feed and with the price of gas it would not be worth it to go get more

So what are the ingredients in the bags of Starting feed and Layers crumbles? I have a grain mill and would like to make my own feed. I live in Florida and to my knowledge there are no mills in the area.

Taz

I also refuse to feed any Purina product to any of my animals. I have horses, dogs, cats, chickens and ducks, and I won't feed Purina to any of them. It just seems to me that every time there is a recall on any kind of feed, Purina's name is at the top of the list. I am fortunate to have a lot of choices with different distributors where I can buy my feed.

We used to feed only Purina back in the 70's, that's 1970's to you youngsters, and it was a good solid feed. Dogs, cats, horses, hogs, whatever. But now I won't touch it. It has changed dramatically and after losing a horse to it in the early 90's I have never fed it again.
We now do a lot of mixing on our own for the old horse we have left and feed Blue Seal to the show piggies and chickens. They are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom