What's up with this goose?

Chicken317

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2020
Lately this goose has been staying around the house area instead of going out to pasture with other geese. We seem to have connected. We honk at each other. If I try to hug him he bites me though. Why is he staying around here? Did his flock kick him out or something? He doesn't appear to be injured.

If you have not figured it out yet let me tell you geese are weird. I am going to guess that the goose that is hanging out with you is a gander since females tend to gravitate to a male even if they are not the "chosen one". If it is a gander then he has either picked you as his "chosen" or he is "cast out" because a more dominant male is establishing a harem of the females. This can change from year to year as they assert their dominance over each other. Last year my geese all bonded with one gander and they drove the more passive gander off alone. This year the passive gander had turned the tables and has taken all the females for his own.

If you have not figured it out yet let me tell you geese are weird. I am going to guess that the goose that is hanging out with you is a gander since females tend to gravitate to a male even if they are not the "chosen one". If it is a gander then he has either picked you as his "chosen" or he is "cast out" because a more dominant male is establishing a harem of the females. This can change from year to year as they assert their dominance over each other. Last year my geese all bonded with one gander and they drove the more passive gander off alone. This year the passive gander had turned the tables and has taken all the females for his own.
Could be. I did notice he had bite marks on his face like he'd been fighting.

"...Let me tell you geese are weird.."
😂🤣😂🤣
Absolutely!

@Chicken317 if you post some pics of your flock, we may be able to help sex them for you. A lot of times you have to just go by the behavior, and who's mating who. One indicator is voice sexing, Ganders are LOUD, very high pitched squeals when they want to.
This time of year, the boys are probably the ones that are snaking their necks and hissing at you 😒

Back
Top Bottom