What's with all this dust!?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wannahavehens, May 18, 2009.

1. wannahavehens

wannahavehens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    Hi all. I have searched and looked all over the site and don't see anything about all the dust in the coop. OMG it's on everything. It's a very fine dark dust and I can't tell where it's coming from. Is it from the chickens themselves? I do put pine shavings, dried grass, straw and leaves on the floor of the coop and I know the pine shavings are really dry, but I can't imagine it's all from that... Any ideas? Thanks.

2. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    My coop is also coated in dust... I'm guessing it's from the wood shavings, since the chickens like to take "baths" in them sometimes.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A good portion of it is probably dander from the chickens themselves.

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Dander! It's horrible! How old are your chickens? Chicks are especially bad because they are losing their down to grow new feathers. And the dust is bad when they molt too.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Between the birds dusting and the pine shavings, my coop is loaded with dust. Almost immediately after cleaning it is back to being dusty. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. funkychickenowner

funkychickenowner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Sussex County NJ
    its dander after they amture it will go away for the most part

7. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    My chickens have always made dust all over the henhouse and some of them are three years old now.

Chickens are notorious for their dust. I don't think it ever goes away.

8. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    yep chicken dander, pine shavings, dirt from out side and the all important ingredient in this fine dusty mess.... dried chicken poo.....
    with a cherry on top....

9. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chicks are losing their fluff and growing feathers, right? This is chick dust - pretty impressive isn't it? It will diminish as their adult feathers fill in.

10. wannahavehens

wannahavehens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    Thank you all. I sure hope it lets up. I just can't keep ahead of it. They are a year old this month, and I expect they should have their first molt soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by