what's with my girls???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by b.hromada, Feb 27, 2009.

1. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

just today, two of my girls, Chicken Jane, who is 1year and 9 months old, and a pullet Godiva, she is 7 months old started fighting? What's with them? This is the first I have seen them do this? Does this mean it will keep up this way? Gosh, I sure hope not. [​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Sounds like they are working out their pecking order, to me.

I've been noticing our younger girls have been challenging our older hens, here of late (Spring is in the air here, even though we're supposed to get snow tomorrow).

Our alpha hen is a little "red" Easter Egger and our smallest hen. She wastes no time telling the younger but larger girls that she is number 1 and doesn't hesitate to put the two boys in their place, either.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Is Godiva laying yet? When they first start laying, they get B*****!
    If so they should settle down.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

thanks guys! [​IMG] Yes, Godiva started laying about a month ago, and Chicken Jane just started back after a LONG hiatus, about 5 months or so. It just kinda scares you when you see them go at it like they do, and all of a sudden like! [​IMG] Anytime Chicken Jane sees Godiva coming near, she gets all worked up. I have never seen her like that before, she is actually a really sweet girl. Like you both said, they are probable trying to get the pecking order back in line. Just seems funny after all this time, you know? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by