What's with this egg....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by College Geezer, May 19, 2017.

1. College Geezer

College Geezer New Egg

May 19, 2017
    Howdy folks,

So we noticed our 15 ish week old rooster is mounting our egg laying hens. We took the eggs from the coop sometime this week and they have been sitting on our counter. It hasn't been"hot" here, but been in the mid 80's for a few days. Anyway, cracked this one open this morning and noticed this.... What is it? Is it a Chick starting to develop? I'm certain the eggs are fertile because I've seen a clearly distinguished "bullseye" in another one..

Anyway, thoughts as to what we have here?

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

That's just a bit of meat. A developing chick starts as veins in the yolk

peopleRanimals2 likes this.
  3. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Yup, it can appear in eggs if you have a rooster or not.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    As the others have stated, that is just a regular meat spot. This particular egg looks infertile as it looks like a blastodisc further down on the yolk. However, they need to be stored under 80F preferably under 70F. Eggs can have sporadic development if kept above 80 degrees.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    From chickenscope:
    CARE OF EGGS PRIOR TO INCUBATION

The hatchability of eggs can be severely reduced by improper care prior to incubation. Since it may not be practical for you to put the eggs in an incubator as soon as you get them, protect them from extreme variations in temperature. Ideally, eggs should not be more than 7 days old when they are set (placed in incubator). Beyond that point, hatchability declines.

If it is necessary to hold the eggs before you set them, turn them daily and keep them in a room where the temperature is around 50o F (10 C) and the relative humidity is 70 to 80 percent. The vegetable section of your refrigerator could be used for holding the egg until it is time to place them in the incubator. Temperatures below 40o F (4 C) reduce hatchability. Under no circumstances should the eggs be held at room temperature, because temperatures of this level are detrimental to hatchability. Embryos will begin develop at subnormal rates when the temperature reaches about 80o F (27 C

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by