What's Wrong?!? Please help?

echo81577

Chirping
Nov 7, 2020
This hen was totally fine yesterday. She did escape the run and my son dropped her over the top of the 5 ft fence. Her wings are slightly clipped, maybe she fell hard? She had green leafy poopy butt, but also had a lot of lettuce, more offered than usual. She won't walk. Opening her beaj, closing her eyes. What could be wrong? See video!

Yeah for sure, she has an injured leg.
Okay, I'm going to try the sling method of rest. I felt her legs and the both seemed fine, but the sling in the crate is worth a shot,! You know how a cat or dog would hold up on paw or otherwise let you know if that they are in pain. Do chickens do that also? Do you give chickens pain meds? How do I know if it's a leg versus her back?

Okay, I'm going to try the sling method of rest. I felt her legs and the both seemed fine, but the sling in the crate is worth a shot,! You know how a cat or dog would hold up on paw or otherwise let you know if that they are in pain. Do chickens do that also? Do you give chickens pain meds? How do I know if it's a leg versus her back?
Shes showing you her leg is hurt. Shes limping and shifting her weight to one side. Dropping her 5 ft could have definitely caused some damage. For now I would let her rest. Watch for swelling.

Poor baby. I believe she is injured and in pain. See how she breathes with her beak open and closes her eyes? I would do the sling, as you suggested. Make sure she can reach water and feed. Can she stay inside for a couple days, at least at night? She will likely self-limit activity, but you can administer aspirin or ibuprofen for inflammation and pain.

Back
Top Bottom