What's wrong?!?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear your hen isn't acting right. It sounds like it could be neurological. I have silkies and see issues with them on occasion. The treatment for that is human Vitamin E capsules that are 400 i.u. Give a little scrambled egg or canned tuna for the selenium she'll need to absorb that better. Try to just give her the vit E by opening her mouth and putting it in as I found out they don't like the taste of it mixed in the scrambled eggs. Plus, this way she gets the whole pill. She also could benefit from a B complex vitamin. Human version is 1/4 to 1/2 of one, for her, I'd go 1/4. I do this for a week and usually see improvement, but continue it for another week.

I've tried offering her strawberries which she pecked at once on Wednesday. I checked her over for any wounds, the only one is the one earlier mentioned on her face which is scabbed over. I don't have access to nutri drench, I know for a fact it's not available at my local feed stores either.
Your feed store should have NutraDrench or Poultry Cell. The latter is a bit more complete. If they don't, look for Rooster Booster granules. That's a supplement for their feed. I use that always by sprinkling it in it when filling their feeder.

She's been in the same state since Wednesday (17th) night when I found her (she could've been there all day). She's just been standing with her wings all the way relaxed at her sides (touching the ground) using them to balance. She was drinking water yesterday when I would bring her out and dip her beak but now she isn't even swallowing it.

just standing with her eyes closed. Today she actually started flopping onto her side when I got home, I think she's having trouble staying up/ balancing.

She wasn't made a peep! She's just been sleeping. 😭
I forgot to add, she's at the bottom of the pecking order and I think she's been getting beat up. She had some blood on her beak/comb. Her comb is cold to the touch, she very pale and her comb is very muted in color.
I'd work on getting her hydrated.

Electrolytes as suggested are a good idea or if you don't have those, give her drops of sugar water.

You mention she wasn't even swallowing when you gave her water - is she able to swallow now?

I'd re-check for lice/mites too.

Hopefully she will perk up with hydration and eating something.

When you can, post some clear well lit photos of her and her poop.

Your feed store should have NutraDrench or Poultry Cell. The latter is a bit more complete. If they don't, look for Rooster Booster granules. That's a supplement for their feed. I use that always by sprinkling it in it when filling their feeder.
Thank Y'all so much! I'll check in tomorrow!

I'm sorry to hear your hen isn't acting right. It sounds like it could be neurological. I have silkies and see issues with them on occasion. The treatment for that is human Vitamin E capsules that are 400 i.u. Give a little scrambled egg or canned tuna for the selenium she'll need to absorb that better. Try to just give her the vit E by opening her mouth and putting it in as I found out they don't like the taste of it mixed in the scrambled eggs. Plus, this way she gets the whole pill. She also could benefit from a B complex vitamin. Human version is 1/4 to 1/2 of one, for her, I'd go 1/4. I do this for a week and usually see improvement, but continue it for another week.
Ok thanks! I'll make some scrambled eggs now. That seems to be a go-to. I'll try to find some vitamin E. Should I talk to a vet?
I'd work on getting her hydrated.

Electrolytes as suggested are a good idea or if you don't have those, give her drops of sugar water.

You mention she wasn't even swallowing when you gave her water - is she able to swallow now?

I'd re-check for lice/mites too.

Hopefully she will perk up with hydration and eating something.

When you can, post some clear well lit photos of her and her poop.
I'll re-check her. I just cleaned out her box, but her poops are pretty runny and white. Can I just use normal Cane Sugar to make the sugar water?

Ok thanks! I'll make some scrambled eggs now. That seems to be a go-to. I'll try to find some vitamin E. Should I talk to a vet?

I'll re-check her. I just cleaned out her box, but her poops are pretty runny and white. Can I just use normal Cane Sugar to make the sugar water?
We aren't vets. We just have had chickens for a long time and/or learned a lot about them in our years, so if you have a vet you can take her to and can swing doing that, we'd always rather err on the side of caution. Many of us don't have that luxury though.

I tried dipping her beak in the sugar water but she won't swallow. She won't eat the eggs or look at them! I feel so bad! What do I do?

Back
Top Bottom