What's wrong?!?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I tried dipping her beak in the sugar water but she won't swallow. She won't eat the eggs or look at them! I feel so bad! What do I do?
I would try two things before resorting to the last thing. I'd try an eyedropper to try get some fluids in her and see if she'd just swallow if you put it to the side of her beak. The other thing is if you have starter crumbles or any crumbles, and if not, then pellets, but put some in a dish and run warm water over it until it's all wet. Most birds think of that as a treat, but they're getting nutrition plus it hydrates them. You could also try cooked oatmeal, a can of tuna (in water), or anything else you think she'll eat.

If you can't get her to eat or drink anything at all, then this is a last resort and I've never done it myself.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2022/05/16/gavage-tube-feeding-chickens/

Oh, I am so sorry that you lost her. She did sound so weak. It can be hard to know what killed her without having your state vet do a necropsy. If you go that route, her body should be kept cold, but not frozen, and taken in or sent to your state lab on their next day open. I also have done some home necropsies on my own chickens, the last time on my 10 year old d’uccle, Millie. If you choose to bury her, that is understandable.

Ok. I did just have another one of my chickens die about a week ago for unknown reasons. This one I wasnt attached to as much but it was still really weird. This hen was about a year old, Rhode Island Red and was raised by my other d'Uccle hen, Hope. The Rhode island hens death was really sudden because she was perfectly healthy earlier that day. If this is something I should be concerned about what should I do?

Ok. I did just have another one of my chickens die about a week ago for unknown reasons. This one I wasnt attached to as much but it was still really weird. This hen was about a year old, Rhode Island Red and was raised by my other d'Uccle hen, Hope. The Rhode island hens death was really sudden because she was perfectly healthy earlier that day. If this is something I should be concerned about what should I do?
I'm sorry to hear about your hen:hugs

Losing a couple so close together could be a concern. If you lose another, then getting some testing through your State Lab to find out the reason is a very good idea.

In the meantime, tell us a little about what you feed, how you house your hens, etc.
Do check your hens for lice/mites and check your feed to make sure it's fresh and has not mold clumps.

So, so sorry for your loss. I know how that feels when we lose a pet we love more than some people. 💔 :hugs

I would seriously want to get a necropsy done on her so you know in case something is going in with your other girls you can attend to now.

I’m sorry for your loss. I’d be mindful of anything that has touched her or in any way could be contaminated, to assure it doesn’t end up back in the coop… discard, wash etc just in case she had something contagious.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen:hugs

Losing a couple so close together could be a concern. If you lose another, then getting some testing through your State Lab to find out the reason is a very good idea.

In the meantime, tell us a little about what you feed, how you house your hens, etc.
Do check your hens for lice/mites and check your feed to make sure it's fresh and has not mold clumps.
There's no mold clups, although it occasionally gets some trails of slug slime on it. I keep it in my garage. It's a mix of layer feed, sunflower seeds, corn, crushed oyster shells and other various seeds that I don't know the name of. The hens however are slightly picky so the don't always eat the oystershells or the pellets. I keep my hens in a large walk-in hen house at night because of predators and during the day they go out into a run with no roof, on the weekends I let them roam around the yard under supervision. Their run is kind of muddy right now due to all the storms /rain so I've been putting straw in. They roost on a roosting bar at night and lay in two out of three nesting boxes. For the first time this year their hen house has actually started leaking a bit where the walls meet the roof but I haven't seen any obvious mold. Their hen house is dusted with diatomaceous earth so it's a bit dusty. Inside I use a mix of shavings and straw. I regularly check my hens for mites and have struggled battling them in the past. None of my hens have them and I put chapstick/coconut oil on their legs when I dust them.

So, so sorry for your loss. I know how that feels when we lose a pet we love more than some people. 💔 :hugs

I would seriously want to get a necropsy done on her so you know in case something is going in with your other girls you can attend to now.
Thank you, I'll call my state hotline today for a necropsy?

Back
Top Bottom