What's wrong?!?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

TammyTheDUccle

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2024
Hi, I have a D'Uccle hen who's probably about 5-6 years old. Her name is Tammy. I was putting my chickens away and I couldn't find her, she was underneath their hen house (which is a common place for her to be). So I pushed her out with a stick I use to herd them. She didn't run away from the stick or anything usual so I was already concerned. I literally had to push her out from underneath and once she was out she simply stood there. When I went to pick her up she didn't run away (which isn't normal for her either, she's pretty skittish). I took her inside the house where I put her in a dog kennel with food, water, sime hand wamers (because she was intermittently shivering) and a towel. She's been in the same state since Wednesday (17th) night when I found her (she could've been there all day). She's just been standing with her wings all the way relaxed at her sides (touching the ground) using them to balance. She was drinking water yesterday when I would bring her out and dip her beak but now she isn't even swallowing it. She's been pooping but they're really runny too. She hasn't been walking around, just standing with her eyes closed. Today she actually started flopping onto her side when I got home, I think she's having trouble staying up/ balancing. She's one of my favorite chickens please HELP!!!!!! I've had her since I was nine!!!! If there's ANYTHING I can do please respond ASAP!!!!

Hi, I have a D'Uccle hen who's probably about 5-6 years old. Her name is Tammy. I was putting my chickens away and I couldn't find her, she was underneath their hen house (which is a common place for her to be). So I pushed her out with a stick I use to herd them. She didn't run away from the stick or anything usual so I was already concerned. I literally had to push her out from underneath and once she was out she simply stood there. When I went to pick her up she didn't run away (which isn't normal for her either, she's pretty skittish). I took her inside the house where I put her in a dog kennel with food, water, sime hand wamers (because she was intermittently shivering) and a towel. She's been in the same state since Wednesday (17th) night when I found her (she could've been there all day). She's just been standing with her wings all the way relaxed at her sides (touching the ground) using them to balance. She was drinking water yesterday when I would bring her out and dip her beak but now she isn't even swallowing it. She's been pooping but they're really runny too. She hasn't been walking around, just standing with her eyes closed. Today she actually started flopping onto her side when I got home, I think she's having trouble staying up/ balancing. She's one of my favorite chickens please HELP!!!!!! I've had her since I was nine!!!! If there's ANYTHING I can do please respond ASAP!!!!
What’s her diet? Does she still lay eggs? Have you checked her over for mites? Have you considered a vitamin deficiency? Can you attach pictures?

@Wyorp Rock @azygous

What’s her diet? Does she still lay eggs? Have you checked her over for mites? Have you considered a vitamin deficiency? Can you attach pictures?

@Wyorp Rock @azygous
I've been giving her Coconut water and water for extra electrolytes. She hasn't laid an egg since when I found her but she was a very reliable layer before. I did check for mites, I bathe my chickens in diatomaceous earth and spray their coop once a week. I give my birds layer feed with oyster shells and various seeds.

Attachments

• 20240119_190108.jpg
    20240119_190108.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 48
The coldest it gets here is in the high thirties and currently it's about 50 F. She hasn't eaten anything so her crop just feels very small/deflated. Right now she won't stand.

Has she eaten anything for the last few days? I would suggest giving her some nutri drench in her water and trying to entice her with some scrambled eggs right now. Have you checked her for injuries? Possible infections? With the information you have provided there aren't any obvious conclusions, all information you had would be helpful while we are trying to diagnose her sickness.

Has she eaten anything for the last few days? I would suggest giving her some nutri drench in her water and trying to entice her with some scrambled eggs right now. Have you checked her for injuries? Possible infections? With the information you have provided there aren't any obvious conclusions, all information you had would be helpful while we are trying to diagnose her sickness.
I've tried offering her strawberries which she pecked at once on Wednesday. I checked her over for any wounds, the only one is the one earlier mentioned on her face which is scabbed over. I don't have access to nutri drench, I know for a fact it's not available at my local feed stores either.

I've tried offering her strawberries which she pecked at once on Wednesday. I checked her over for any wounds, the only one is the one earlier mentioned on her face which is scabbed over. I don't have access to nutri drench, I know for a fact it's not available at my local feed stores either.
Any thing that you recommend might help but my feed stores are also closed this hour

Attachments

• 20240119_192305.jpg
    20240119_192305.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 46

Back
Top Bottom