What's wrong with hay??

The folks I got my pullets from suggested I buy wood shavings to put in the nesting boxes, as that's what they use. They clean it out once a week and put it in the compost heap. They also suggested we put some alfalfa hay in the bottom of the run, and the chickens eat the alfalfa (they love it & it's good for them). I rake it out once a week and dump the spent hay straw into my compost heap.

So far, that seems to be going well, though we're only in our 3rd week as "chicken parents". I think now, though, that the alfalfa hay is superfluoous--the chickens could take it or leave it. I think it was good to have it when we first brought them here, as it was a smell and taste they were familiar with & made the transition from their original home to here a little less stressful. At least that's what I'm telling myself. LOL.

What's wrong with hay (and straw, too!) for me is simple -- I'm *very* *very* allergic to both straw and hay. And since I have asthma and an allergic body response tends to trigger asthma attacks in me, I can't have hay or straw anywhere near me.

We're using pine shavings instead, I am not allergic to those! And it's my understanding that you can compost pine shavings too, which is good, considering how much gardening I do in the summer time,
smile.png

From a childhood spent around horses, I do know that both hay and straw can get really moldy if they get wet, or even damp, and mold is pretty bad for chickens, so I would worry about that if I wasn't allergic.

Whitewater

Well, my hubby and I just discussed everything we've been reading on here about using hay, and we are going to get rid of our bale of hay. I don't know what we're going to do with it, probably post it on craigslist or something. We already bought a HUGE bundle of pine/cedar mixed bedding for the henhouse, and the girls like that just fine. We've determined our hay to be just unnecessary and a pain in the a$$ to deal with anyway.

Quote:
I did the same thing as you....got a great deal on some last season hay for $1.00 per bale and couldn't pass it up. I won't buy it again, but I did like it, and you're find as long as you clean it up weekly.

Can't pass up a good deal! LOL

I use alfalfa hay during the winter months in the coop and run as the girls like to scratch and eat it. In the spring when there is stuff growing for them to forage through I put straw in the coop and run. They free range during the day.

A bit of hay over your straw or shavings is a great entertainment for your chickens and helps cure pecking and other boredom issues. Often I pile it in an area not with perches over top so it stays cleaner. In winter especially when they are staying in lots it's great to give them something to do. Mold is an issue with hay so having something dry under it is good, and throwing it out weekly is great suggestions. I can't change my whole barn weekly so I just do one corner in hay. Alfalfa is high calcium and protein, great for layers.

Wow,,Thanks for all the replys!! Well I went out today and bought pine shavings and a bag of lime. I mixed lime in the shavings in the house and nest boxes. In the run I made a 2X2 box for their dirt bath and I filled it with playsand, lime, and seven dust. The rest of the run is just dirt with alittle of the shavings. I hope I did it right.. I have read alot and tho I'm scared using seven dust I feel they will be protected from the dangers of mites and lice...( Last night I read to much in the emergency forum) Hope I don't end up doing more harm than good!! Well ,we will see tomorrow..

Back
Top Bottom