whats wrong with her? graphic pics

Are they locked in the coop at night? If not, I'd suspect that a raccoon is getting after them, or maybe a cat. My chickens lost tail feathers just like that after being chased by both cats and dogs. Whatever is chasing them bites at their tails and ends up with a mouth full of feathers.

Kathy in Texas

they get locked in at night shortly after dark. I have a critter proof coop. I dont think a rino could get in it once the dors are dropped.

Last edited:
thanks for all of the fast replies. I'm gonna go fir the iodine and dog crate and maybe find a hobby for them during the day. If anybody else has a tip, I'm all ears!

Hi again, as far as a hobby goes, Ruth mentioned hanging cabbage, I have hung lettuce and they love it. Lettuce, cabbage, head of broccoli are all fun for them to pick at and nutritious too. It's a cheap and healthy fix.

I'm sorry about your lady bird's ouchie.

But from it I've learned that my girls need a hobby! I've been pulling their favorite grasses as it comes up and tossing it in, but hanging some goodehs around sounds like just what they'll love.

this is off topic
but i love the way your coop is. very creative.
welcome-byc.gif

Boil some water and don't overdo it with the betadine (1-5% in sterile water). Lavage (rinse) the wound with this and apply neosporin ointment with q-tips. She needs to seperated and on clean bedding.

Extra protein (scrambled eggs/meal worms for example)/polyvisol infant vitamins without iron three drops a day (drip into one side of open beak slowly) for for a week and taper off.

Please check this link for much more comprehensive info on wound care:

http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=practical&action=display&num=1158141893

It would be a very good idea, if possible, to watch the flock behavior for a bit (if this is cannibalism you might have only one offender). Your setup is nice, any way to add a baby monitor? You might well catch the offender, if any, by the whining and yelps of the next victim.

Good luck!

From the position of the wound, it looks to me like dominance pecking that got out of control.

You have to keep the red covered, otherwise the other birds peck at a wound instinctively. One burst blood feather, and they go haywire.

Back
Top Bottom