whats wrong with her I found her this way at noon to day. she is tring

Mother of All

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Millbrook
56310_0828111834.jpg

It's a vitamin deficiency.

I've had this happen before too. It's like she can't hold her head up right?? You need to get some polyvisol without iron from your local pharmacy-you'll probably have to ask the pharmacist (they like to keep it behind the counter). But make sure it's the kind without iron. It's about $10. What I do is fill the dropper with the Polyvisol then take an equal amount of water and mix them together. Then just put it in her mouth and get it all down her...take your time with her. It usually takes about 36 hours for the vitamins to completely kick in, but she'll get better. If you can't get the polyvisol, you can try the powdered Durvet vitamins, but I never have, so I don't know if it will work. But the polyvisol works for sure!

Good luck!

thank you I will try and get some in the morning when things open up. I put her in that separate cage so others will leave her along

Quote:
The polyvisol is a children's vitamin you should be able to find it at any pharmacy and like as mentioned it must be the one without iron, otherwise you'll have other problems.

ok I got the polyvisol and I have a chicken in my kitchen. by the way she looks better then she did yesterday but I still want to give her the vitamins. SO how does someone put vitamins down a chickens throat.

I just use the dropper that came with it. Use one hand to hold the dropper and the other to "pry" her beak open and just squeeze it into her mouth. Don't put it way back, I just put it right at the side of her beak (like when you get the beak open enough for the dropper to fit in). I put the chicken on my lap-use the dropper in my right hand-and with my left arm I can go over her back and come around with my hand (under her beak) to open it yet still kinda holding her on my lap with my arm.

Back
Top Bottom