What's wrong with his legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by petchickenlover, Aug 23, 2011.

1. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    In the last few weeks, I've noticed my rooster has been picking at his legs quite badly...So badly that he's been limping slightly. I'm thinking mites maybe? No other chickens have this issue..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like leg mites [​IMG]

3. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:That's what i feared... I would think some of the others would have it too but no one else does...unless of course he got it somewhere else...?

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Quote:2x Clean his legs with warm water, and put either VET Rx, or Vaseline on his legs for a couple of days until it goes away

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, probably leg mites. Now yer gonna hafta treat them. Oil those legs real good with anykind of oil. Anything from WD40 to mineral oil, to used motor oil. Ya don`t hafta treat all your birds, but they probably have a few. One thing you can do is oil their roost. The idea is to drown them, so anykind of oil will work. Have fun........Pop

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's what i feared... I would think some of the others would have it too but no one else does...unless of course he got it somewhere else...?

My friend got two hens that had leg mites from a friend of hers who was a vet. tech. (shame on her) and none of her others got them. I thought it was either strange or lucky. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  7. rsepiphyte

rsepiphyte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Ky.
    You may want to try some ivermectin. Spread a drop or two on his legs. Ruth

8. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    I'll treat his legs ASAP! Could he be the only one because he's the only one with feathered legs? from what I've read it sounds like breeds with feathered legs are prone to them..

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Pam non-stick cooking spray also works.

10. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:Thats what i used,too!LOL.

Soaked his legs in warm water with some ivermectin in it, then sprayed with pam. hopefully he'll start feeling better, i wish i would have realized it sooner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by