What's wrong with his legs?

petchickenlover

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
In the last few weeks, I've noticed my rooster has been picking at his legs quite badly...So badly that he's been limping slightly. I'm thinking mites maybe? No other chickens have this issue..
wv760i.jpg

2ih46k0.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That's what i feared... I would think some of the others would have it too but no one else does...unless of course he got it somewhere else...?

Yup, probably leg mites. Now yer gonna hafta treat them. Oil those legs real good with anykind of oil. Anything from WD40 to mineral oil, to used motor oil. Ya don`t hafta treat all your birds, but they probably have a few. One thing you can do is oil their roost. The idea is to drown them, so anykind of oil will work. Have fun........Pop

Quote:
That's what i feared... I would think some of the others would have it too but no one else does...unless of course he got it somewhere else...?

My friend got two hens that had leg mites from a friend of hers who was a vet. tech. (shame on her) and none of her others got them. I thought it was either strange or lucky.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I'll treat his legs ASAP! Could he be the only one because he's the only one with feathered legs? from what I've read it sounds like breeds with feathered legs are prone to them..

Quote:
Thats what i used,too!LOL.

Soaked his legs in warm water with some ivermectin in it, then sprayed with pam. hopefully he'll start feeling better, i wish i would have realized it sooner!

Back
Top Bottom