whats wrong with my baby chicks navel?

RACHELLE85

Songster
7 Years
Feb 5, 2013
just in case it didnt upload, the baby has a swollen navel area about the size of a bean. Is it a hernia?

Hes only a few hours old. Its probably my fault we had some humidity issues in the hatcher.

With any luck it is just an unabsorbed yolk sack, you might want to try putting him in a small cup or plastic container to keep him quiet and give it a chance to absorb, maybe wrap his butt in a damp paper towel (it shows a duck in a cup in the one link as an example) If the other chicks are done hatching keep him in the incubator for now, otherwise put him in the brooder in a warm spot but watch it so he doesn't get cooked by the heat source... with a little luck he may be OK.

Ok thanks. The last few hatched and they had some navel issues too. I guess the humidity did it. I got about 16 that are in good shape and four that arent. Thanks for the help!

Ok thanks. The last few hatched and they had some navel issues too. I guess the humidity did it. I got about 16 that are in good shape and four that arent. Thanks for the help!

Umm im no sure i read the info right before. They got shrink wrapped in there and i helped them. Thats how they got the infection. I know better now but i figured it was gonna die anyway so..

Back
Top Bottom