1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's wrong with my chicken Henrietta?!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickensrule45, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Gudday BYC,
    My Isa Brown chicken Henrietta has some sort of illness and I don't know how to help her.
    She moves slowly and she often just stands there with her feathers all puffed up looking sleepy.
    She is about 2 years old, and her sister is experiencing the same sort of illness but not as bad.
    Yesterday I picked her up and she was REALLY light (so light that I could hardly feel her) whereas her sister was much heavier. She hasn't been eating and I try to feed her but she refuses. She even rejects her favorite treat (parrot seed mix). When she tries to eat she appears to be too weak to peck at the grass or the bread I give her. She and her sister don't lay eggs anymore either but I don't think they're egg bound. Their poop is also really sloppy. I am very concerned about it and ask you please to give me some advice or have any idea what might be wrong with her.

Thanks again!

2. ImBabyHuey

ImBabyHuey New Egg

Nov 7, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Hi, I am a Long time lurker getting a great education here. I would say to get rid of the bread and parrot seed as treats, give some meal worms, cooked egg and fruit or vegs in small amounts. Chicks cant handle bread and bird seed. Maybe some electrolytes or even a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar added to the community water will help to perk them up. I would isolate them from the flock until well. Hope others more experienced will advise you better than me. Praying they recover soon.

3. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

You may want to try posting your concerns in the emergencies forum for better and quicker responses. I hope you can find some answers there.

1 person likes this.
  4. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Has she been wormed? If so when?

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :) Try posting in the "Emergencies/ Diseases/Injuries and Cures" section.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope you have posted on the emergencies site and gotten good answers. Hope your hen will recover.

7. EggyTheHen

EggyTheHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    In the Henhouse!
    I have a chicken named Henrietta who had the same problem too.

I figured out she had eaten a long piece of grass, and she didn't eat or drink for a while. She's fine now, hope you find out what the problem is.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by