What's wrong with my chicken? Her bum is constantly leaking.

madgeroonie

Chirping
Nov 7, 2015
One of my hens has a swollen and protruding vent area with what looks like a poo sticking out of it and a constantly leaking white dribble. She hasn't laid for months and months but had been very healthy and happy till today when I saw her like this and she is now not eating either. Does anyone know what I can do to help her or what is wrong? Thank you.

One of my hens has a swollen and protruding vent area with what looks like a poo sticking out of it and a constantly leaking white dribble. She hasn't laid for months and months but had been very healthy and happy till today when I saw her like this and she is now not eating either. Does anyone know what I can do to help her or what is wrong? Thank you.
I am wondering if she has lice as it looks like it around the feathers that are left in her vent area - most of them have come off. Can lice infestation result in this kind of symptoms? And if so how do I get rid of them?

She most likely has some combination of: internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites, or vent gleet. If she is not eating, and not moving well, she is letting you know that she is in pain. If she were in my flock, I would be giving her a merciful euthanasia.

Back
Top Bottom