What's wrong with my chicken?

hsmamaj

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
This morning when I went out to feed my chickens, one of my hens, Alice, was acting strange. She came out into the chicken yard with the other chickens and I wasn't paying real close attention so I don't know what she looked like coming out, but when I put the full feeder back in the coop, she could not hop up into the coop with the other chickens to get to the food. I picked her up and she felt a little bloated on bottom. Her legs are wide spread and she is waddling strangly, if she walks at all. She is two years old and I can't remember what breed. Normally her legs are much closer together and she straightens up. The picture shows her all hunched down and her legs far apart. He comb is flopped over and she just looks unhappy. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with her? Or what to do about it? I'm worried about her and don't want to lose her.

what color/ texture is her poop? I have 2 that are doing that. I lost one last night. I cant figure it out either! Mine have a greenish runny poop that sticks to their feathers. smells terrible. 3 days and they're gone. Ive been giving them Duramycin-10, an antibotic, in their water. Hoping its not to late for the 2 sick ones .

It appears she may be eggbound. Soak her in a container of warm water up to her sides. Then gently massage her underside front to rear while she's soaking in the warm water. Do this for about 20 minutes or so, hopefully she'll lay the egg. Repeat as necessary.

Last edited:
What are your chickens other symptoms?
what color/ texture is her poop? I have 2 that are doing that. I lost one last night. I cant figure it out either! Mine have a greenish runny poop that sticks to their feathers. smells terrible. 3 days and they're gone. Ive been giving them Duramycin-10, an antibotic, in their water. Hoping its not to late for the 2 sick ones .

Her poop is completely normal except that she really isn't doing it much since there is an egg blocking the hole. Sorry to be so graphic. She is eating and drinking (more drinking than eating) fairly normally. Obviously that would cause a problem. If you keep putting things in when nothing can get out, you're going to be uncomfortable, right? I hope your other two chickens get better, nyseman.

I did give her a bath in warm water for about 45 minutes. She loved it. She was sure trying hard to lay that egg, poor thing. I tried massaging her as best I could, but she really wasn't very fond of that. She wanted to go back outside with the other chickens after the 45 minutes in the bath, so I took her out. I'll try the bath again later. I really hope she can get through this.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Her poop is completely normal except that she really isn't doing it much since there is an egg blocking the hole. Sorry to be so graphic. She is eating and drinking (more drinking than eating) fairly normally. Obviously that would cause a problem. If you keep putting things in when nothing can get out, you're going to be uncomfortable, right? I hope your other two chickens get better, nyseman.

I did give her a bath in warm water for about 45 minutes. She loved it. She was sure trying hard to lay that egg, poor thing. I tried massaging her as best I could, but she really wasn't very fond of that. She wanted to go back outside with the other chickens after the 45 minutes in the bath, so I took her out. I'll try the bath again later. I really hope she can get through this.

Thanks for your help.
After the next soaking and massaging, put on a pair of disposable gloves and put olive oil on your finger and insert your finger into her vent checking for debris. Then remove your finger and put olive oil just inside and outside of her vent. The warm water she's soaking in calms her and expands her innards, massaging helps move the stuck egg along, finger in vent stretches it and the olive oil will help let the egg slip out easier.

After the next soaking and massaging, put on a pair of disposable gloves and put olive oil on your finger and insert your finger into her vent checking for debris. Then remove your finger and put olive oil just inside and outside of her vent. The warm water she's soaking in calms her and expands her innards, massaging helps move the stuck egg along, finger in vent stretches it and the olive oil will help let the egg slip out easier.

First off...yuck

Otherwise good advice...i can totallly see how this would help the eggbouhd

Back
Top Bottom