Whats wrong with my chickens feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PearlTheDuck, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    I noticed my chicken, Vanilla, has been staying in the coop often, at first i thought she was going broody but when i went to give her an egg to see if she'd put it under her i noticed her feet, ive never seen anything like it, it seems she walks with a limp and tries to avoid walking so im guessing its painful. At first i thought it might be some form of Bumblefoot but there is no scab anywhere. I also noticed her nails are very long and i will be trimming them.
    DSC_1292.JPG

DSC_1294.JPG

DSC_1295.JPG

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  2. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    It does look like Bumblefoot. Although I don't know if that always has a scab or not. May be they are cold?

The Phantom likes this.
  3. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

I have a chicken with bumblefoot right now that im treating and her feet compared to Vanilla's are not similar at all, I've never known bumblefoot to swell up the whole foot like this but i could be wrong

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Well, I know it can swell up like that, but i think it usually has a scab.

5. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Yeah Ive had all 9 of my ducks and 2 of my chickens have bumblefoot and every one of them had a scab, i dont see a scab at all on Vanilla which is why im so confused on what it could be

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The feet look dirty, but her feet appear swollen, which could indicate gout or a bacterial joint infection such as mycoplasma synovitis, or another bacterial infection.

Bonniebooboo and AnneInTheBurbs like this.
  7. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Do you know what causes that? What can I do to treat her? Unfortunately I absolutely can not take her to a vet as the closest one is 3 hours away and it’s too expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: