What's wrong with my chickens?

Jul 23, 2022
Today one if my favorite chickens died. She had been fine one day, then started to spend more and more time inside the coop. I immediately brought her inside for a checkup after noticing her behavior. She didn't appear to be sick except for the fact that she kept laying down in the corner of the coop. She didn't have a crop at first, but after bringing her in and making her eggs, she started eating and drinking on her own. She didn't have lice, mites, or any other parasites. She also wasn't sneezing or coughing, nor did she have any signs of mareks. The only problem was that she couldn't keep her balance while walking. I gave her some vitamins and electrolytes and gave her some antibiotic shots for about 4 days. After that, she seemed to get better and started walking with more balance, then a few days later she went back to hiding in the coop. I started having to force feed her and was only able to do this for about two days before she died. The problem that concerns me is that this has happened before, a chicken would start acting the same, get better after I intervened, then would get worse and die. It seems like I'm having chickens die every few weeks. Does anyone know what's wrong with them?

Today one if my favorite chickens died. She had been fine one day, then started to spend more and more time inside the coop. I immediately brought her inside for a checkup after noticing her behavior. She didn't appear to be sick except for the fact that she kept laying down in the corner of the coop. She didn't have a crop at first, but after bringing her in and making her eggs, she started eating and drinking on her own. She didn't have lice, mites, or any other parasites. She also wasn't sneezing or coughing, nor did she have any signs of mareks. The only problem was that she couldn't keep her balance while walking. I gave her some vitamins and electrolytes and gave her some antibiotic shots for about 4 days. After that, she seemed to get better and started walking with more balance, then a few days later she went back to hiding in the coop. I started having to force feed her and was only able to do this for about two days before she died. The problem that concerns me is that this has happened before, a chicken would start acting the same, get better after I intervened, then would get worse and die. It seems like I'm having chickens die every few weeks. Does anyone know what's wrong with them?
I’m sorry about your girl! I don’t know the answer however I lost my Gertrude to a smilar issue last year. Woke one morning and she couldn’t walk…unbalanced. After a few days of antibiotics and separation and TLC she seemed to be better but I woke one morning to her dead. :( The only thing I didn’t treat her for was worms. Not saying your girl has them but my girl was eating so so much it makes me think perhaps it was that? I guess I’ll never know but know you’re not alone! I hope someone has some good advice.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Did you have a specific reason for giving antibiotics, or were you just guessing? They tend to be overused, and if you don’t know what you are dealing with you also might be giving one that isn’t the best for treating the issue that is going on. There are a lot of people here that can give great advice and help narrow down what is happening. Hopefully you won’t have it happen again, but if you do try to post the first day with the symptoms you are seeing and some pictures of the sick chicken.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I tend to give chickens antibiotics since I gave it to some chickens that had a respiratory thing but it cleared right up when I gave it to them.

Antibiotics help for bacterial issues, which a lot of respiratory infections are, but don’t help if it is viral, parasitic, etc. And overusing them can cause antibiotic resistant bacteria, especially if not given in the correct dosage for the correct amount of time. Plus they can kill off beneficial bacteria that aid digestion.

Hopefully you won’t have any more issues. Please post if you do so the experts here can try to help. I’m not an expert but have learned a ton from the people here that are.

I’m so sorry about your chicken.:hugs

I hope you find answers, I can imagine how hard and frustrating this must be.😔

Did she show any sign of neurological issues? Is there a possibility she ate something she shouldn't have? I would check for anything in your chicken area or yard if you free range for anything that can be poisonous plants or any small metal objects. I.e. screws, nails, Penny's, bolts. Otherwise, I know it can be costly but a trip to the vet would be what I would do especially if you have lost more than one birds. Sending love your way and I'm sorry for your losses

Back
Top Bottom