whats wrong with my chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gerty1980, Oct 30, 2011.

1. gerty1980

gerty1980 New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    I have three chickens and had them for about three months now. They are normally great layers and would get 1-2 eggs daily, I know this is meant to reduce with the winter coming but havent had a single egg for a 10 days!!! Is this normal? They are all still doing normal chicken activities and have plenty of food and water, foraging and plenty of fruit when the want it. They are still really cheeky monkeys and regularly come up to the back door and call for us although recently they havent wanted to be picked up but once I get them I cannot feel any egg. There is no sign of lice or worms but there crops are a little hard (not sure if this is normal or not). They do not appear ill in anyway but have a feeling something must be wrong.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Most likely it's because they're molting. The first molt they don't lose a lot of feathers so you may not notice it as much. If you don't have a light in the coop production does slow down as you're seeing. I have 16 birds and get about 5 eggs a day. Sounds normal for this time of the year.

3. gerty1980

gerty1980 New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    thank god for that [​IMG] I guess I didnt expect it to slow down so quick, they are molting as well but not as much as I thought they would be. Thanks for putting my mind at ease x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by