What's wrong with my chicks eye

MsChicken9

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2020
She is 9 weeks old and within the last 4 days I've noticed changes in her eye and mood. I recently moved her and 3 other chicks in with the older hens and everything seemed to be fine. 4 days ago I noticed that her eye was shut but she would open it some. I thought maybe one of the older girls had pecked her. The next day she wouldn't open at all. Yesterday I pulled her lid down and it appeared white. And now today it looks like this. Is there anything I can do? Did I make it worse by pulling her lid down?

helen1.jpg
helen2.jpg

Do you mean the eyeball appeared white? That could be a sign of infection from trauma or pecking. I would irrigate or flush the eye with saline eye wash twice a day. See if the white material will come off with a QTip. Then apply a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment. If any other symptoms show up, such as sneezing, rattly breathing, or gasping, I would suspect a respiratory disease.

Do you mean the eyeball appeared white? That could be a sign of infection from trauma or pecking. I would irrigate or flush the eye with saline eye wash twice a day. See if the white material will come off with a QTip. Then apply a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment. If any other symptoms show up, such as sneezing, rattly breathing, or gasping, I would suspect a respiratory disease.
Yes, the eyeball appeared white. Thank you!! I'll try your suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom