what's wrong with my duck foot ):

karlalaw

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
Hi! from yesterday my duck started to limping, (there's no signs of bumblefoot) so I just came from the vet,and he told me it could be rickets (Vitamin D deficiency or phosphorus/calcium), I Am very worried about it, if anyone has gone through a similar situation please tell me what did you do or some tips to make him feel better.
(this video is from yesterday
)

sorry about my english, I am trying my best :c

Your English is excellent!

It happens regularly that ducks are at least a little low on Vitamin D. I have a dry cat food with extra vitamin D in it that I give as treats sometimes to my ducks especially in winter and when they are laying.

I also give extra calcium - crushed oyster shells and there is something we can buy here called calcium gluconate 23% solution. It is a liquid and I add 2 teaspoons to a cup of water and mix that in the food. Because I have a dozen ducks, I end up using several tablespoons of calcium gluconate most days.

Some people crush cleaned egg shells and give them to their ducks. There is layer feed with extra calcium, but I don't think they always have enough for ducks - their eggs are so thick-shelled.

I hope this helps. Please let us know any other questions or concerns, or tell us about your duck.

Back
Top Bottom