What's wrong with my guinea?

NancyP1

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Upstate NY
Help! my guinea is not well! She is laying down with her legs out behind her..panting..she cant seem to get her legs under her to walk. She even let me pick her up! I put her in her coop on some hay...Any ideas of what could be wrong with her? Never seen them do that before! New here..So Hi everyone!

First off
welcome-byc.gif

It kind of sounds like it might be heat stroke. Get her cooled down and administer some electrolytes, (Gatorade, Pedialyte, etc.) Keep her cool, give her a banana as well, if it is heat stoke she'll need the potassium for several days to come. And for several days keep her cool and well hydrated, giving banana too. If that doesn't help it could be something more serious. However it sounds like heat stroke.

Ok, I will try to get some water into her now.....I am out of bananas, no gator ade or pedilite....Today is cooler than it has been in several days...only in the mid 70s
Going to the coop with a syringe...will be back shortly...Thank you so much

Quote:
STOP!! Unless you know what you`re doing, you could drown the bird with a syringe. Even if it doesn`t drown, it could get water in the lungs and develope pneumonia and die. All ya gotta do is dip it`s beak and get fluids in that way........Pop

she wont take any water i have her on my lap..her legs seem kinda jerky but she is not panting as much.. we are sitting in front of a fan...could she be egg bound? how could i tell?

Quote:
Good. Egg bound isn`t very likely with a guinea. Can you feel anything stuck in that area? I`m with all that suspect heat stress, even though guineas are from a hot place and are supposed to take heat well. Let it cool off for a while and see. Good luck........Pop

Thanks again Pop. Hubby is going to bring home some gatorade. I have her in a box in my bedroom now, with the ceiling fan going, with just a dim light. They are the coolest birds..I really hate to loose one.

Do you think I could take some cool rags and put them around her legs? They feel really hot. or maybe an ice pack put in a towel in her box?

Back
Top Bottom