What's wrong with my hen and how do I cure her

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
This morning I seen that one of my hens wasn't eating or drinking and she don't really seem to be moving around as much I checked her for Brocken bones did not feel any thing she is not showing any symptoms really of anything and when Shen runs/walks she holds her head close to her body what's wrong with my hen all replies are welcome:idunno

Does she look hunched or puffed up with her head drawn back into her shoulders? How old is she? Is she having diarrhea or blood in her poop? Have you wormed her recently? Is she old enough to lay eggs? You can poke a finger into her vent 1 inch or so to check for a stuck egg (wear a rubber glove.) Make sure that she is drinking water well, and put some
SaveAChick or electrolytes into it if you have some. Gatorade or Pedialyte will also work.

Her head is back to her body and she moves it every once in awhile she is about 6 months old and and she don't have diarrhea she don't have blood in her poop she is old enough to lay but she haven't never laced one since I owned her I had her for a little bit before thanks giving I have her and her sisters to but they seem fine I have wormed them about a month ago and she is now drinking just not as often as the others

Is her comb red like she should be laying eggs? Are your hens on layer feed? You might check her for being egg bound, as well as feel her keel bone or breast bone for any weight loss. Feel of her lower belly for any swelling or fluid. It's possible that she could be laying internally which can make her feel really bad. I would watch her and try to get her to eat and drink well. What did you worm her with? Some things won't treat all of the worms chickens get. Valbazen and SafeGuard are very good for worming.

Her comb is its normal color and I wormed my chickens with wazine 17 wormer the right amount for the amount there water bowl holds. and she don't have an egg inside her she doesn't really feel any lighter but she has just acted all mopey today and walked slower ate about the same as usual and just don't seem to be drinking as much. her poop looks normal and she holds her head back to her body

Maybe a picture of her would help. Are you familiar with wry neck, where the neck can be twisted to the side, or held down or upwards? I would give her vitamins in her water, especially vitamin E plus a little egg or tuna daily for selenium. If it is wry neck, that can be a symptom of a head injury, vitamin deficiency, or from certain diseases such as Mareks and others.

This is my hen she is pretty puffy and I want to change the name I gave her it sounds weird but anyways what house hold items would have vitamins and or vitamin E thanks and she would not hold her that way she's been cause I opened the door and it scared her I tried waiting a minute but she was to busy watching what I was doing

Back
Top Bottom