What's wrong with my hen's eye?

mklmcnutt

Chirping
Jun 2, 2023
This is Pizzaz. She's a five and a half year old Barred Rock hen. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed one of her eyes is strangely wrinkled, with a black something in her top eyelid. I have no idea what is going on. Could something be stuck in her eyelid? That side of her face is also pale and becoming more wrinkled.
Pizzaz isn't in the best of health - She has arthritis in one foot that makes in very difficult to walk (She injured her foot when she was younger). I have to keep her separated from the rest of he flock otherwise they would pick on her. She lives in the coop where she can still see and hear the other chickens, and sometimes if the weather is okay I'll put her out in the chicken run in a cage. She also had a mites about a month back which I treated and thankfully cured.
Any ideas of what could be causing this? I posted pictures of her healthy eye as well for comparison. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
20230701_142230.jpg
20230701_142216.jpg

sorry, pictures not the best.

Hard to know what is going on with her, but eyelid swelling can be a respiratory infection or disease. She might have gotten something stuck in her eye or maybe she was pecked. Look inside the eye for anything like a foxtail or dirt. You can flush the eye with saline or eye wash. Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment can be applied to her eye twice a day.

I would check her for mites again and lice under her vent and belly. They require at least 2 treatments 7 days apart with Permethrin dust or horse spray. Then the bedding needs to be emptied and replaced after spraying the coop.

Has she laid eggs in awhile? Most hens do seem to enjoy being with the other just hanging out, but she might be picked on if she is out of the crate without slowly reintegrating her.

Back
Top Bottom