What's wrong with my Leghorn

ponchiepeepsDH

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
Ponchatoula, LA
She is a year old. Her hind feathers are missing, possibly plucked out, her comb is droopy and her butt is puffy and pasty. Not sure if she is laying. Also her poop is liquid and clear. Here are some pictures.

32221_photo.jpg

32221_photo1.jpg

32221_photo2.jpg

We started poly-vi-sol and have isolated her. Any help would be appreciated

Dave

Last edited:
I don't have personal experience with it, but I would check to see if she is possibly egg bound.
You can do a search on here using the keywords "egg bound" to see if that fits what you are observing.

I dont know about her rear end? Does she perch?
Her comb looks like my Leghorns combs lol. It looks normal, some are floppy haha

When my chickens got in the front yard my neighbors dog went after them and a couple of them lost their feathers during the scuffle. They just started dropping off of them because they were so stressed. They didn't have any of the other symptoms but their bottoms were bare just like yours.

I'm bumping this thread in the hopes that someone with experience in this sort of thing will be along to help you out.

I'm sorry...I hope your girl starts feeling better. Have you inspected her closely for lice/mites? You can see lice...small bugs, kinda look like a grain of rice but smaller... I saw them under the wings in the feathers. You might not see mites, I've read that they can actually live in the coop, in cracks and corners, then crawl onto the birds at night. Both bugs could cause problems in the vent area (they can lay their eggs there, and cause the feathers to fall out), and they'll cause the bird to be anemic and malnourished. I used Sevin Dust on my birds and in the bedding in the coop and sprinkled on the roosts. They were better in just a couple of days!

Other than that, you can just give supportive care, like the vitamins you already said you're giving, plus raw unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar in her water, feed her scrambled eggs and yogurt. All of these things have benefits that help treat many issues.

Back
Top Bottom