Whats Wrong With My Moose

GwenFarms

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Moose, my little Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix, has something odd wrong with him. The first time he did this was a few months ago. He was lying down napping and then jumped up whining and howling like he was in awful pain. He came running to me for help with his tail between his legs. He didn't do it again until day before yesterday and now he has done it twice. There is nothing obviously wrong with him and the episodes only last a few minutes, then he goes back to being himself.

What do you think could be wrong with my Moose??

I don't think so. He wasn't sleeping when the last spell hit him. He seems to be in genuine pain.

Thats a good suggestion though.

Last edited:
Our chihuahua does this, and here's why...

He has three herniated discs in his back. Dogs with long back such as chihuahuas and dachshunds tend towards these problems. This is partly because people tend to think, awww cute puppy I pick him up, LOL. We used to pick ours up ALL the time, and this is the result. There is nothing that we can do for ours outside of an outlandishly expensive surgery.

Questions:

Do you hold your dog often?
If so, do you mainly support his chest, or do you offer good support to his pelvis and lower back?
When he has one of these spells, does he look back towards his tail, and/or walk funny AT ALL?
Does he have a history, himself or his lineage, of back problems?

This is not to say that this is absolutely what your dog has, there are dozens of possible causes and solutions.
smile.png
Hopefully I have been of some help.
duc.gif
Sorry to run so long, LOL

This has all given me something to think about. I'm leaning toward the gas pains. He draws up like its stomach pain. Could be a pinched nerve. I will bring up the back thing at his next check up, but it shouldn't be arthritis. He is only a year old. He is due for a check up soon, so if it doesn't get worse between now and then I'll wait. I mostly just wanted to make sure that noone here had experienced anything that was an emergency like this.

Thanks Everyone!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom