What's wrong with my rooster? *pic*

LaynaDon95

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
My rooster's whole vent area is bright red and feverish. I haven't seen him mate anyone in a while. I'm not sure what it is. Do any of you have ideas?
(Sorry he's a little messy, he tried poop while he was upside down...)

Hmm. Might be it. I haven't notice any swelling, lethargy, etc. The hen he was with (I was trying to breed them.) stopped laying for about a week, but as soon as I let her out of the tractor she went to lay an egg. I guess I'll have to watch them and see. They aren't showing many symptoms. I gave them electrolytes a few days ago that had a lot of the things they list on the link and I have more, so if they end up needing them that won't be a problem.

Last edited:
It looks like vent gleet. Mites can also cause such redness but that usually occurs on the skin around the area & a larger area.

For vent gleet, gently clean with a wound wash rinse and pat dry with a gauze. Then put provodone iodine in a spray bottle and spray on it. I have also used monostat cream in conjunction with this. Do this for at least a week or until completely gone. I fed my yogurt during this period too & withdraw any water containing vinegar added. You do not want it to get any worse or it may not be reversible.

One other thing: if you can get your vet to sell you some Ketoconazole, 200 mg tablets, then give 1/4 tablet once each day for a week -- this is very effective (especially when done with the above).

Someone just helped me with a problem I had and this might be it. Here is a link to symptoms if you want to see if its this. http://ultimatefowl.atwiki.com/page/Vent Gleet#id_05cfdbd6d508a86c7852195802d4cecc

I'm not saying this is or isn't gleet because I don't have first hand experience w/it (though that might be a different story tomorrow after I examine the rears of my poopy hens)
But what I did want to say is that on the link listed above, it mentions that gleet is uncommon yet I have seen or read of at least a dozen cases in the last month. Would the weather have anything to do w/ it? I don't know about where ya'll are, but this Spring sure has been weird!

Back
Top Bottom